1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Leftwich or Palmer

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by PantherPaul, Feb 14, 2003.

1. y2b

y2b King of QC

hmmm, okay........but I doubt he can stay healthy anyway. Besides that, I think Leftwich has already hit his prime. I don't know why exactly, I'm just not a fan of his.

2. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

Leftwich kicked ass for several years. Palmer had a good season. He bruised his shin, bruises or at the worst a break will heal. I like Leftwich.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    it was a cheap shot that got him injured. He played on it, he made the injury linger, but he played. He's much greater of a leader, has the better arm. Find that combination on any corner and then maybe Leftwich isn't so valuable but I can't think of that combination too many places.

4. SandMan

SandMan A Man Of Trust

I'm just thinking... (dangerous) - why is this class any better than previous classes of top 3 QBs picked in the draft? I am totally guessing here, so I welcome facts, too lazy to dig myself. What are the odds of a top 3 drafted QB making an impact and helping his team have a winning season in his first 2-3 years on that team????

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Obviously those stats depend. They increase greatly when aided by a strong defense, I'd assume, and they're much greater than doing nothing at all or attempting to slide by on late round picks.

But you've already made this conclusion many a time, the one you're hoping to draw from someone. Your opinion's noted yet again.

6. y2b

y2b King of QC

Now that sounds more like some Lex might say :D

Oh, just kiddin'. Well, if all that is true, then how about Chicago getting all excited about Leftwich and letting Palmer drop. I originally thought Palmer might be the third QB taken in the draft, but all the hype has got me worried.

7. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

This really isn't a great QB class, but a solid one. There are a number of teams with aging vets or young guys that aren't living up to expectation and that makes the QB position a little more visible.
    IMO, next years class will have better numbers, but not at the level of Leftwich or Palmer. Just more bodies withcomparable talent.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I'd say that it'll be easier to find guys like Boller or Ragone, guys who have most of the tools and experience at a high enough level, but ones that have every bit of it like this year? Rare. Last year as well was a rarity. I'd be surprised if there was one, since Manning has flaws and he's the only guy who can't do wrong in the eyes of the press.

9. Piper

Piper phishin member

Well, to your last point, one should evaluate players on their own merit, not on those that came before.

I like the top 3 better than the top 3 of, say, last year, as a good one to compare it to. As prospects, Lefty and Palmer are much more complete than Carr and Harrington. Carr has all the arm in the damn world, as much as Lefty, but lacks size and accuraccy. Harrington has better size and is accurate, but the least arm of the 3. All 4 are good leaders, though Palmer only grew into that role this year and started showing some fire.

Boller and Ramsey are comparable, though Boller is more complete and isn't the stationary target Ramsey is, who was really more of a late workout pick than a true first rounder. And there was no one to compare to the 3 late first round/2nd round picks that will be there this year.

Not all these guys will work out, no. But IMO, the top 3 have more tools than the top 3 of last year. So in that view, their chances of working out are higher.

10. Xcaliber

Xcaliber Just Another Guy

I like both Palmer and Leftwich equally the same, but with that said I'd take Leftwich at 3, 4 or 9 over Palmer at 1. I just think they both will have the same level of success in the NFL with Palmer maybe taking a little longer than Leftwich.

I've seen numerous mocks where Leftwich falls our pick and to get him at 9 without having to give up picks is a chance I'd be willing to take. Especially with good quality guys like Boller, Grossman and even Simms who we could trade down and get if the gamble of Leftwich doesn't pay off.