1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Leftwich or Palmer

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by PantherPaul, Feb 14, 2003.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

With all the swirling rumors of the Panthers moving up in the draft to select a QB I started thinking of who I would want in a best case scenerio where I had my choice. Coming into the season everything QB was Leftwich. Now at the end of the season it's Palmer. Now I like Palmer and everything but couldn't a case be made that he is a product of a system with Norm Chow bringing out the best in him? From what I have read Leftwich seems to be the best player sooner ready to lead a team. He has serious mobility issues ala Kurt Warner or Dan Marino but in our offence primarily geared to run first and then throw down field second wouldn't Leftwich be a better fit and potentially cheaper (trading up) option?

2. Shocker

Shocker Full Access Member

Palmer has always had Rolls Royce type potential. There is nothing to be desired that he doesn't posses. Size, athletic abiltiy, arm, accuracy - you name it. Should be good for a bad team but outstanding with weapons around. Cincy is crazy if they pass on him.

That said Leftwich has tremendous tools as well. The only thing I dislike about Leftwich is that he sometimes lofts the out route a bit. I still think he has a big arm and can move a team at will when he is on. His accuracy is nothing short of amazing. The step up in competition will be a test - but he'll be fine in the long run.

Either guy can take a team to the promised land - so a comparision really doesn't matter much.

Right now though Palmer is the #1 pick for a reason. He is the total package.

3. BearBryant

BearBryant Full Access Member

the only reason I would go with Palmer is because of Leftwich's leg issue. The Panthers simply cant afford to roll the dice on Leftwich.

4. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

What exactly IS Leftwich's leg issue?

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    A few picks later Leftwich's still the better value and the better leader. The guy's charging the battle from the front tank. He runs well, he just doesn't run fast. I think that's a reputable mark of a QB, knowing when the good gain can be had but not using it as a way to not shit yourself in horror.
    I can see why Palmer's rated higher. I myself have him higher as a prospect, but have Leftwich as the better QB. But both these two and Boller have a lot of college experience, and bust rates with those (whether a three year phenom like Lefty or a one year rocket up the charts like Palmer or Boller) are far smaller than with guys who play one year, and look great that one year.
    Of the two, again, Leftwich seems the better fit here. He's got hell arm, he's got release and velocity over Palmer, and he'd be the leader Peete is. If it were up to me and both were there it'd be Leftwich.

6. LitterBox999

LitterBox999 Enjoy your winter.Scumbag

I can't help but think of Ryan Leaf when I look at Leftwich. Not too imply he has a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head. I just think it's the big gut.

7. BearBryant

good question. I just remember his team mates carrying him down the field. He had surgery on the leg during the off season the year before. Looks like this has potential to be a career long thing. I'll still do back flips if he ends up here.

8. Shocker

Shocker Full Access Member

I can't image that Leftwich makes it to us at #9. That would be astounding IMO. If the price is right I still would consider going to 3 to ensure that we get Palmer, Leftwich or Rogers. I still think the price could be ok and not include our #2 this year. Then hope Jacobs, Lloyd or Boldin get to us in round 2. That would be ideal.

9. BearBryant

I want to trade up to the top 4 at least.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Size wise yeah. Arm wise, sure.
    Attitude wise they're 100% different. I don't like terribly cocky QBs and Leftwich isn't one.

The leg issue I don't believe was an ongoing thing from past seasons. He played on it which is both good and bad - he'll go injured, and no one can deny that at all given that he couldn't even plant to scramble in the bowl game - but it also dragged the injury on too long. He should have sat a few games.