1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Keyshawn dropped

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by verytastyfish, May 1, 2007.

1. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

:byebw:

2. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

The guy obviously had some left in the tank. It appears he didn't want to deal with a team that had no shot of getting to the Super Bowl, regardless of money. I can respect him for that. He'll be good in broadcasting (as long as he doesn't start bullshit rumors about Brady Quinn).

3. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

He might have still retired if we had not released him.....

4. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

I don't know how true this is, but Key wanted $12 mil. :3:

Titans' offer wasn't enough for high-priced 'Key'

By Adam Schefter
    Special to NFL.com

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(May 23, 2007) -- Before he officially became a national broadcaster Wednesday, Keyshawn Johnson was a savvy businessman.

It was the businessman in him that caused Johnson to ask the Tennessee Titans for a two-year contract worth a whopping $12 million.

And it was that number that forced the Titans to respectfully decline Johnson's asking price, helping lead the former No. 1 overall pick to retire from the game.

Tennessee was offering Johnson a modest signing bonus, plenty of incentives and a chance for Johnson to earn a nice salary. But the salary didn't measure up to anything close to Johnson's asking price. He wanted to be paid more like Atlanta's Joe Horn, whom the Falcons gave a four-year, $19 million contract.

Now Tennessee is left with a slew of young and inexperienced wide receivers and a lack of veteran options.

The Titans will consider bringing in former Houston Texan wide receiver Eric Moulds, though some personnel men around the league believe he has little left to offer. Houston released Moulds last winter, after a season in which he caught 57 passes for 557 yards.

Tennessee also could reopen trade talks it had this spring with the New York regarding former Titans wide receiver Justin McCareins, whom the Jets have been open to trading. McCareins spent his first three NFL seasons in Tennessee, before New York traded for him in 2004. In his three seasons in New York, McCareins has had declining reception totals.

Keenan McCardell also still is available, but he recently finished his 15th NFL season, and would seem an unlikely target for Vince Young and the Titans.

Tennessee would like to turn to its own David Givens, but the receiver is recovering from knee surgery and might be forced to spend the first half of this season on the Physically Unable to Perform List.

Whatever the Titans decide, they know they must do something. After losing wide receiver Drew Bennett to the St. Louis Rams and Bobby Wade to the Minnesota Vikings, Young no longer has a security blanket at wide receiver. Tennessee's most reliable options now might be third-year receivers Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams.

Keyshawn Johnson could have been the blanket and the veteran that Young needed. But he wanted too much money, and now the Titans must find a more affordable alternative. Problem is, there isn't much left to choose from.

5. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

Karl Hankton!!! :daisy:

6. QC REPRESENT

QC REPRESENT Full Access Member

Johnson retires, to join ESPN
    Former Panther to be studio host, also do radio
    CHARLES CHANDLER
    [email protected]

Panthers next season, Keyshawn Johnson said he was planning to help ESPN cover "Monday Night Football."

Because the Panthers have no Monday games and Tuesday is the players' day off, he was discussing a deal to fly from Charlotte to Bristol, Conn., after team meetings on Mondays to be a studio host with Chris Berman, Tom Jackson and Bill Parcells.

Everything changed when Carolina released him May 1. He discussed playing opportunities with several teams, including Tennessee and Green Bay, before deciding to move on to a new career.

On Wednesday, he announced his retirement as an NFL receiver and his decision to join ESPN full-time.

The cable sports network said he'll be an NFL studio host on Sundays and on Monday nights, and that his other responsibilities would include a radio show with reporter Chris Mortensen and Parcells, his former coach with Dallas and the Jets.

"Being able to be a part of something unique and special like ESPN is huge for me," Johnson said on a conference call.

In his first extended comments since getting released by the Panthers, he said he wasn't upset by the team's decision to bid him farewell in favor of second-round pick Dwayne Jarrett.

"Being released, when you're 34 years old, (you know) at some point in time there's going to be a young stud to come into the league that they like more than you," Johnson said.

He complimented the way coach John Fox and general manager Marty Hurney handled his exit.

"They've been nothing but great to me in the nine months I was with them," he said.

In a telephone interview with the Observer after the conference call, Johnson had little to say about Observer reports that team management was unhappy he didn't take enough responsibility for mistakes last season and left quarterback Jake Delhomme to bear too much blame.

"I don't know anything about that," Johnson said. "It is what it is. I'm moving on."

Johnson said on the conference call that he would try to bring some of the same qualities to the broadcast booth that he displayed as a player.

"I've never been shy of words, to be honest," he said. "I'm not here to blast anybody. I'm here to be colorful and exciting, like I was on the football field. I want to do the same thing on TV."

All-time NFL receptions

1. Jerry Rice 1,549
    2. Cris Carter 1,101
    3. Tim Brown 1,094
    4. Marvin Harrison 1,022
    5. Andre Reed 951
    6. Art Monk 940
    7. Isaac Bruce 887
    8. Jimmy Smith 862
    9. Keenan McCardell 861
    10. Irving Fryar 851
    11. Rod Smith 849
    12. Larry Centers 826
    13. Steve Largent 819
    14. Shannon Sharpe 815
    15. Keyshawn Johnson 814
    15. Henry Ellard 814

7. Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen Fire Ron Rivera's Dumbass

I think I'm smart enough to follow you so far...

yep, I'm still with ya...

hanging in there, keep going...

uhh, you lost me, did you forgot donkey?

Seriously though, to your point about the sacks per attempt is a good one. Although I disagree that it doesn't necessarily mean Jake was under more pressure. I'd say it was the QB realizing how fucked the line was in front of him and he probably had a 1/10th less second on his internal clock before he got rid of it. That would mean the attempts would go up between sacks; he didn't hang onto it until the last second and take a pounding like Beuerlein did in '00. That could also explain some of the stupid throws and mistakes; he knew he had to get rid of it quick and let it fly hoping Smitty and Key would make a play.

I've wondered that myself. The days off he got during camp and generally just not looking as sharp as he had before (not that he was ever Peyton Manning) had me thinking something was up with a shoulder or elbow. He seemed to have more zip and accuracy when he came back after the few weeks off against NO. Granted it was against their practice squad; but he still seemed to deliver the ball better.

I've got them all DVR'd too; but thats not the point. My point was the Oline was screwed before halftime of the ATL game. You think we would have had the same issues all season if they had all stayed healthy and I don't think we would have had them all season. You can talk till you're hoarse but it's not changing my mind, and it really doesn't matter, because it's all water under the bridge now.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    this fucker just will not die.

He did sit some practices early in the preseason I believe. Of course there's nothing one way or the other to definitively prove it, but i've had these same thoughts. He didn't play as well this year as last, and it showed from the beginning.

Don't think it's necessarily fair to talk of what I don't believe he's saying; I guess, though, you could make that suggestion if he's saying that it's almost all Jake, that the line did statistically do well pass blocking so it's not the line. Of course, that's not the case so much, the line blocking was atrocious and we didn't spread down the stretch as much as you'd expect, a natural adjustment to keeping the extra blocker in more.

In the end, DVR'd or not, it's still subjective. You look at a bad line, a significant drop in rushing TDs, a significant drop in defensive turnovers after being in the tops of the league over 4 years, a worsening run defense, a decline in 3rd down offense, and worsening QB play (if you're optimistic, an 8 point QB rating drop, with 6 more TDs than INT; if you're pessimistic, his first year without 16 games, his lowest yards/attempt, and a few less big plays). I can't say that one out of that pile of bullshit is significantly more impactive than the others, but doing so or not doing so is a matter of opinion.

9. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

does Jake snore, Mrs. Delhomme?

10. Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen Fire Ron Rivera's Dumbass

LOL, because I think the Oline was a factor in our QBs play I'm Mrs. Delhomme. Whatever...

Edit to let the record show if I was Mrs. Anbody, I'd be Mrs. Peppers. I saw all his games in Kenan in person and Pep is about to get paid....

Last edited: May 29, 2007