1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Kenny Moore

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Jul 5, 2010.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    papers are making a big deal out of the idea that Moore probably starts a good bit of preseason, if not all.
    I mean, Fox's pattern of playing vets over young guys is way overblown (essentially, he waited twice on Matt Moore while in between Moore showed nothing, and didn't play Deangelo Williams until he'd grown up) , but it's not that surprising that he put the next guy down on the list as the starter. Moore's an incumbent. He's also not that bad a WR. If he'd been able to return the footbal well, maybe we don't reach for Edwards. But does he have much room to grow? Does he go from preseason starter, to sitting on the waiver wire week one?
    I can't see where we have room. Smith is on the roster, they'll keep the uppermost two rookies unless they Shelton Edwards mid-camp. They didn't bring Wright in to see if he could catch a football, they'll keep him active every game for coverage. So there's just not much room. Especially for a guy getting more than a rookie would, where the rookie would have a future.

2. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

We usually activate 4 and no more than five. The more they can do, the more likely they'll survive.

Jarrett needs to be nothing short of magical. He can't play special teams, so I don't see him here this fall. Wright can cover kicks and LaFell can block. They're much more similar to JFG stock.

So Dwayne is probably out, at least in my mind. Which sucks, because he's as naturally gifted as you'll ever find. It just doesn't seem like he ever got his head in the game. It's a shame. Moore can at least get some separation, but I don't ever want him fielding punts again. We'll see how it goes. It should be a nice competition, regardless of who gets the most throws.

3. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

We may activate more than four as a regulat thing this year - apparently looking to more heavy WR sets.

I'll believe it when I see it, but the earlier talk indicated that, as well as the off season WR signings - and drafting 3 WR. Trading big for Edwards, on top of it.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Edwards specifically did change things, and then the practice deal with 4 WR.
    For one, I thought this is more of what we'd get with Davidson - a weis type spread. We got most of the run sets and no 3-4 WR.
    We do seem more ready to do that now, and that's what I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, with our backs it makes a lot of sense to use base Os, but with our O, especially against specialized defenses, 3 and 4 wide sets up one on one blocking, less blitzing, less SS in the box, and chances are our line will be better than theirs. You don't need any more matchup issues than that.
    Now, whether we're better at 3rd WR than their nickel, that still remains to be seen. Whether we're better at 2nd WR than the 2nd corner isn't really that likely.

We probably don't have another guy who can be a slot other than Moore, to back Edwards. That's if Edwards can handle the job and it doesn't get scrapped.

So, the two starters in preseason may very well be fighting Gattis for a roster spot.

5. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

yeah Dwayne does need to show something. Not sure if he can or not. I think he's doing all the right things. I'm sure he realizes it's a big preseason but I think we keep him. Otherwise we got Steve, Moore and some rookies and some ST players. It'd be nice to see what he can do with some extended playing time.

6. CosmikCatNip

CosmikCatNip of myth and lore

he's tall. so far he's shown a natural gift to consistently not manage to get open for a bevy of reasons. this has resulted in him being able to contribute 1 score in 3 healthy seasons. that's unacceptable.

being half a foot taller or so than alot of the corner competition in ncaa carried him well. what else has he got? he's not shown anything.

7. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

How many Dwayne Jarrett drops come to mind? He's not fast, but he catches, which is fine. He has the ability to be a good number two, but as I mentioned, there's only so much he can do.

I'm not saying he's worth a spot. He's had his chances, and he hasn't done a lot.

8. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

I'm going to try and give Jarrett the benefit of the doubt. The guy made some plays with Moore late, and we all know how often Jake loved to force-feed Smitty. Granted, Jarrett didn't hit the field a lot, but with Smith on one side, Moose being so critical in the running game on the other side, and a lack of 3-4 wideout sets, Jarrett didn't get a lot of chances.

9. FURBALZ

FURBALZ DEAL ME IN !

AGREE ! Matt was utlizing more players on the field ... spreading the ball around. One of the first things I noticed when he took over the offense. Jake got comfortable forcing the ball to Smitty cost him his job in the end. Liking what Matt is bring to the offense right now. Think the QB competition will only make him better.

10. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Smith is a given. You have to think either Jarrett or Lafell will start. One active spot will go to Wright. That leaves one other active spot for either Edwards, Gettis, Moore or the loser of the Jarrett Lafell battle for the starting slot. If we carry five active wideout then there are two slots open for those four guys.

My gut is that we keep

Smith
    Lafell
    Edwards
    Gettis
    Wright

with Gettis inactive most of the time.