1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Keeper League Help

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Forum' started by smashmouth5, Jul 30, 2007.

1. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

I've got to pick 3 of the 6

Vince Young
    Shaun Alexander
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Laurence Maroney
    Anquan Boldin
    Hines Ward

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

Vince Young shouldn't even be mentioned. He gets absolutely zero consideration, as he was the worst passer in the NFL last year and you can't count on him getting a high amount of rushing touchdowns every season (even Vick was very inconsistent in that regard).

Shaun Alexander is your easiest choice, as he should bounce back to have a strong season, although how much value he'll have beyond '07 is an open question. Maroney would also seem to be an obvious candidate because of his youth and team. My concerns with him are the potential for injury and the fact that he's not a physical enough runner to be consistently effective around the goalline. He's still a no-brainer, but may not quite live up to the hype.

The third choice is the hardest. If you have 2 RBs and a flex position, then you have to give Drew strong consideration. I liked him out of UCLA and suggested that he could take over as the starter once they dumped Fred Taylor (most sources said he was just a return man and 3rd down back, not a potential starter), but even so, his '06 numbers were ridiculous. Since Taylor is still around, I think there's very little chance that Drew gets double digit touchdowns in '07, and so he's probably not going to live up to expectations this season. But he is likely to take over in '08 or '09, and it's hard to let go of a guy that dynamic.

Boldin is the other reasonable choice, as he's young and one of the better fantasy receivers. I don't know that he'll ever be the best wideout since he and Fitzgerald will be competing for targets, but he'll always be strong as long as he's healthy.

If you can make trades, I'd at least see if Maroney and Drew could get you LT (don't bother with Larry Johnson, though). Steven Jackson would also be a worthwhile target, as might Peyton Manning depending upon your scoring system. But if that doesn't work out, I would take Drew if you have a flex position and Boldin if you don't. Keeping Drew over Alexander might be tempting, but you'd basically be writing off this season.

Also, be sure to get Adrian Peterson in the draft. He may have to split carries with Chester Taylor this season, but Minnesota has a pretty good line and I expect him to be a top 5 running back in 2008. He's the best pro prospect I've seen since I started covering the draft, and I think the top 6 teams in the NFL draft will be kicking themselves for not taking him.

3. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Your fucked.

Alexander (getting up in age for a RB)
    Maroney (rumor has it he has a injury that could be serious)
    Ward

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

It's the same shoulder injury he had late last season. I don't know that it will actually cause him to miss any time, but obviously it could make him less effective and could be exacerbated at any point.