1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Kasay a liability

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by TOTALPACKAGE, Aug 3, 2004.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    that was my supposition, he has more problems with control while trying to loft kickoffs than nailing them out of the EZ.

2. Fan. Attic

Fan. Attic Upstairs Lurker

I've wondered about this. Why don't we see any kicker who just consistently bangs kickoffs into or through the endzone? Is the distance just too far? I find it hard to believe there are no kickers out there who could do it, and/or no special teams coaches who wouldn't prefer that to the risks of covering returns.

Of course, I'm sure if this became the trend, the league would simply move the kickoff spot back. And I know they've done that in the past (it used to be the 40 long ago, no?). It just seems weird that they haven't had to move it again for so long. Or did I miss something? :thinking:

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Some coaches emphasize getting air under it and trying to land it within the 5 yard line. Couldn't tell you if all do, but yes, chances are if the leg just became that much bigger an issue, you'd see another change, and it's kinda far back as it is.

4. rake

rake Need one of these

I know kickoffs can be boring and it would be especially boring if most of them resulted in a touchback. When there is a huge collision, or a turnover, or someone breaks off a long one, or even if the returner evades that initial gunner and almost finds that open lane kickoffs can be one of the most exciting moments in the sport.
    I would even love for them to do away with being able to down it in the end zone and the only way you get it on the 20 is if the kickoff is ruled to have been kicked too far to be field-able.)

5. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

I don't remember him booming them out of the EZ either. Even Janokowsky doesnt do that in the pros. No one does that on any consistent basis in the NFL since they moved the KO back to the 30.

6. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

3rd was early for Kaeding, but SD was in an interesting position draft wise. They had enough picks to fill needs early and grabbing Nate there allows them to spend a little less money than they would have for a position player.
    Not a conventional draft move, but financially savy.