1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Julius Jones

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Mar 1, 2008.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    we won't draft one first day. I know you like the top guys, but we won't. It's either that, or we end up scrapping team plans because we've gotta go with a 2nd rate guard because we didn't draft a tackle in the best class in years.

I do think Jones is better - more burst, more ability, more tread left on the tires. I can't explain his drop in YPC, though. At any rate, I want a vet. We've always had a vet and a young guy, and it just makes a lot more sense.

I'm intrigued with the idea of drafting multiple backs, I guess.

2. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Jones is a higher profile guy than I expected. I figured a guy like TJ Duckett or Michael Pitman. We have our starter all we need is a guy to spell him and provide depth. Jones is pretty darn good for that role IMHO.

3. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

TJ Duckett aint shit.
    I was all about drafting a RB in the 3rd or 4th but a vet is looking more appealing. I do think Jones would be a nice fit. Signing a vet RB also doesn't preclude us from drafting one. Alex Haynes hasn't done much and I'm not sure what they are going to do with Goings. Jesse Chatman played pretty well last year after Ronnie Brown went down.

4. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I want a guy to back up DW not compete with him. He needs to be the featured back next season.

5. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

That's stupid Fox logic, get the best guy we can afford, let them compete and the best guy starts and gets the bulk of the carries.

6. CarPanthers20

CarPanthers20 The Other Godfrey

I could live with that. Having DW, Jones, Goings, Day 2 RB 1, Day 2 RB 2 would probably be the more logical direction. Mendenhall, Stewart or McFadden are exciting to think about, but going the committee route is probably better for the Panthers in the long run.

Drafting a RB high doesn't make that much sense in that we are only going to run him until his body breaks down and then go looking for another as we did Stephen Davis.

7. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Fox is not one to let them compete and have the best guy start. Foster stayed behind Davis longer than he should have and then DW stayed behind Foster too long. I want to see what DW can do without having to share a lot of carries. Let him be the work horse. Bring in a guy to spell him and provide depth but DW needs to get the bulk of the carries. A committee approach is never as effective as having a stud RB who puts fear in the defense.

8. CarPanthers20

CarPanthers20 The Other Godfrey

It worked well for the New York Giants, and its what the entire league seems to be moving towards.

9. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

@*^#&@!!!!

10. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

Yeah, let's not forget that the two conference champions used a committee approach. Let's not forget that Minnesota and Jacksonville, the two best rushing teams last year, use a committee approach. You really need two starting backs. I'd be pretty happy with Williams/Jones/Goings/draft pick. You get the line in order, and I could see that backfield being very successful.