1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Jenkins' views on heart and passion.

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by ant2125, Sep 30, 2007.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

They talked about this on sirius yesterday, Gil Brandt, I think.

2. chipshotx

chipshotx Full Access Member

Attitude doesn't affect performance. :thumbsdown:

3. Cattrax

Cattrax Senior Member

Passion, fire, focus, a fear of losing, a strong desire to win or whatever in a player is an intangible. Not the most important thing but an asset none the less. Execution will not be remedied by "passion" but it may provide the player additional drive to do whatever necessary to improve his performance thus doing his part to allow for better execution. An extra hour on the practice field may assist a lineman hold his block a split second longer allowing for a successful play. JMHO.

4. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

what were the conclusions?

5. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

They opined that this was Pepper's problem this year. That if he's in on 60 plays, and 40 of them he's in coverage, that he's frustrated.

They opined that if he was allowed to do what he does best in their view - disrupt the passer - that he would not only be more effective odds-wise, he'd also be more effective because he'd have a better attitude.

6. Purrsy

Purrsy Full Access Member

So whats your point then? Because Im not saying, not have I seen anyone else say, we should have passion and not execution?

But I have seen a few here mock passion, though Im getting fucking tired of saying that, because its totally lost its meaning, and become a symbol of a ONE THING FIX, because it's mocked so much.

Are you saying you'd rather NOT have passion from our players? If not, quit mocking it.

7. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

yeah, Purrsy, the discussion has lost its track no doubt.

Here it is. Panther execution is vital, but execution without caring about the result is a waste of time, hence the no passion for the game line. Sunday v. TB, it looked like the players were going through the motions. They had 2 fleeting moments where they had a chance to ignite something: The strip and subsequent fumble for the defense (the 1 turnover they recorded), and Carr's scramble, dive, roll for the first down. Those were the only 2 moments in the entire game that I saw any players showing any kind of fire on the field. They had that "challenge" at midfield before the coin toss, where Jenks and others were pointing and shouting at the Bucs, but that led nowhere.

After Carr's first down, I actually said to myself, "finally...something positive...." while shooting the game. They left all that momentum out there, and did nothing with it. that's the passion needed....turning a spark into an inferno. They didn't do that, and haven't really done that all season. yes they beat STL. STL has proven they are no good without Pace, and Bulger being dinged with rib injuries. ATL is horrible, but again, they were workmanlike against the Falcons, so doing their jobs (to an extent) was good enough.

When the game is tough sledding ( like all CAR-TB games usually are), the team that wants it the most is the one that wins. Think back to the 12-9 games, or the blocked PAT that won the game for CAR back in 2003 (?)...THOSE were moments of heart and desire. That is what this team lacks right now.

Hate to sound corny, but the "eye of the tiger..."

8. Purrsy

Well, Ive always thought Trgovac was a below average DC who's been lucky at times with personnel. Combine that with our terrible position coaches, and we get this. A very inconsistent defense, that can be awful at times, and quite special on other occasions, and frustrated players. Fox better simplify that goddamn defense soon, if he doesnt want a mutiny. I dont want Fox going anywhere, personally. I just want a better staff to help him out.

And yeah, I dont know where the fuck we got off this year getting so fancy with Peppers. It's like were trying to steal a page from Baltimore with what they used to do with Adalius THomas....but then again, why on earth would Trgo try to put guys in spots where they could best succeed? The guy needed Sam Mills to spell and read shit for him when he was alive.

9. Purrsy

Well said. But nonetheless, we'll continue to see here, a flood of youtube posts, a flood of Jenks sucks because he wants better from us posts, a flood of "Pashin" posts, and more Everything's Fine posts. It just doesnt matter.

10. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

agreed. I also agree with meatpile's assessment (either in this thread or another) that Jenks EVERY SNAP is going to be watched like a hawk going forward. He brought that on himself--now he has to buy what he is shoveling.