1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Jameson Curry We Hardly Knew Ya

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by wossa, Apr 7, 2004.

1. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

2. KrisJenkins77

KrisJenkins77 Yes. Yes I was driving.

3. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

I think it's pronounced Shit Out Of Luck Dumbass

4. bkfountain

bkfountain Full Access Member

what a dumbfuck. I remember my mom telling me about that since we live around there when they did the whole 21 jumpstreet sting operation. My brother had one of the undercover narcs in his classoom.

5. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

UNC rescinds scholarship offer to Curry

[​IMG]
    [size=-1]Associated Press[/size]
    [​IMG]

RALEIGH - North Carolina rescinded a scholarship offer to JamesOn Curry on Wednesday just days after the leading scorer in state high school basketball history pleaded guilty to drug charges.

Tar Heels coach Roy Williams said he informed Curry, a standout guard for Eastern Alamance High School, and his family of the school's decision Wednesday evening.

"We hope JamesOn will be successful with continuing his education and his basketball," Williams said in a statement.

Curry's home telephone number was steadily busy late Wednesday.

"He's down, he knew that there was a possibility that this would happen," Eastern Alamance coach John Moon told the Times-News in Burlington. "I'm sure he's having a difficult time dealing with it mentally. But he's got to move on and focus on what happens next."

Curry pleaded guilty on Monday to six felony counts: two each of possession with intent to sell and deliver marijuana; two each of the sale of marijuana and two each of delivering marijuana.

He was sentenced to 36 months of probation; various fines, including $600 for lab fees to test the marijuana; $200 in court costs and 200 hours of community service.

Curry was kicked off his high school team shortly after his arrest in February. He was one of 49 students arrested that month after a systemwide undercover drug investigation by the Alamance County Sheriff's Office and the Alamance-Burlington schools. The operation was aimed at dealers and distributors, authorities said.

Curry, who committed to North Carolina last summer, scored 41 points in an 84-76 victory over High Point Andrews in December to set the state's career scoring record.

Curry, a two-time Associated Press All-State first-team pick, also holds the state record for career 3-pointers. -- ASSOCIATED PRESS

6. The Brain

Carolina Withdraws Curry's Scholarship
    By UNC Ath. Comm.
    Date: Apr 7, 2004

CHAPEL HILL, N.C.--University of North Carolina men's basketball coach Roy Williams announced this evening that JamesOn Curry, a high school senior from Burlington, N.C., will not be a member of the 2004-05 Tar Heel men's basketball program.

"This has been a very difficult time for JamesOn and his family and also for our basketball program," says Williams. "He is nice young man, but one who made some very serious mistakes. We felt we needed to let the legal process take place over the last few months and now it has.

"During this time we have been in close and constant contact with our admissions office and the University administration. All parties have agreed that it is best for us to withdraw our scholarship and release JamesOn at this time. We hope JamesOn will be successful with continuing his education and his basketball."

Williams informed Curry and his family of the University's decision Wednesday evening.

7. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

North Carolina releases Curry
    By Stephen Schramm and Bob Sutton
    The BurlingtonTimes-News

North Carolina rescinded its men’s basketball scholarship offer to JamesOn Curry, the state’s all-time leading prep scorer, in a decision announced late Wednesday night.

Curry, a former Eastern Alamance High School player, pleaded guilty to six counts of drug charges, all involving marijuana, Monday in Alamance County Superior Court.

North Carolina coach Roy Williams issued a statement at 10:45 p.m. Wednesday.

“This has been a very difficult time for JamesOn and his family and also for our basketball program,” Williams said in the statement. “He is nice young man, but one who made some very serious mistakes. We felt we needed to let the legal process take place over the last few months and now it has."

“During this time we have been in close and constant contact with our admissions office and the University administration. All parties have agreed that it is best for us to withdraw our scholarship and release JamesOn at this time. We hope JamesOn will be successful with continuing his education and his basketball.”

Williams wasn’t available for further comment.

Curry couldn’t be reached for comment. Telephone calls to his home were met with busy signals for most of Wednesday night. Later, an unidentified woman answering the telephone said there would be no comment from the family.

“I certainly feel for JamesOn. I understand the University of North Carolina’s decision and we just have to except that,” Eastern Alamance coach John Moon said. “We have to go forward and find another place that’s interested in him to go to school and play there. I think that now that the University of North Carolina has now stepped forward, we’ll find out pretty quick.”

Moon said it’s time to look ahead despite the disappointment.

“I don’t really think that he felt that would happen,” the coach said of the scholarship being revoked. “He’s down, he knew that there was a possibility that this would happen. I’m sure he’s having a difficult time dealing with it mentally. But he’s got to move on and focus on what happens next. I’m sure that he’s trying to process this. I’m sure it would be tough on anybody.”

Mebane-based recruiting analyst Bob Smith of Preps Plus Services said there will be pursuers for Curry’s services.

“That won’t be a problem,” Smith said after learning of North Carolina’s decision. “The one thing I know about Division I college basketball is that it’s an industry of second chances.”

Smith said it’s likely Curry will have to look outside of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

“My advice to JamesOn and his family is to ponder this thing and take his time,” Smith said. “By virtue of Roy releasing him… he can focus on the task at hand on how to rehab on all this. I think the basketball end on this will be fine. It won’t be Carolina.”

Moon said Curry has his support.

“I spoke to JamesOn earlier and I spoke to his mother,” Moon said. “We’re trying to find out what schools are interested and what scholarships are available. He and his family will have to sit down and make a decision. But I do believe that he’s a great enough player that people will be interested.”
    Williams, who was in San Antonio when Curry made his plea in court Monday, informed Curry and his family of the decision Wednesday night, according to information released by the university.

Former North Carolina coach Matt Doherty originally offered Curry a scholarship. Williams became the coach last April and honored the offer. Curry signed a national letter-of-intent Nov. 12 during the early signing period.

Curry made a verbal commitment to the Tar Heels on June 15, 2002.

He’s a two-time all-state selection and a two-time Times-News All-Region Player of the Year. He didn’t receive such honors this season even though he averaged 40.2 points covering 20 games. After his arrest Feb. 4 as part of a drug sweep of Alamance-Burlington Schools, he was dismissed from the team.
    Earlier in his senior season, he broke the state high school scoring record Dec. 16.

8. HighPoint49er

UNC withdraws Curry's scholarship
    By Jeff Carlton, Staff Writer
    The Greensboro News & Record

North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams said Wednesday night that the school has withdrawn JamesOn Curry's scholarship two days after the former Eastern Alamance star pleaded guilty to felony drug charges.

"This has been a very difficult time for JamesOn and his family, and also for our basketball program," Williams said in a statement. "He is a nice young man, but one who made some very serious mistakes. We felt we needed to let the legal process take place over the last few months and now it has."

Curry, the state's all-time high school scoring leader with 3,306 career points, was one of 50 Alamance County high school students arrested during a Feb. 4 undercover police operation. He was indicted on six felony counts for possession of marijuana and for the sale and delivery of marijuana on school grounds, and pleaded guilty to the charges Monday in Alamance County Superior Court.

Superior Court Judge Kenneth Titus suspended a combined prison sentence of 10 to 12 months. Curry was sentenced to three years' probation and 200 hours of community service.

Calls to Curry's home late Wednesday were not answered.

Eastern Alamance coach John Moon spoke to the family not long after Williams did.

"I didn't really know what to expect in it. I was hoping for the best and thinking it could happen like this," Moon said. "Now obviously we know where we stand, and now we've got to move forward and find a place for him to go to school and continue his education."

Moon said he had not been contacted by any other college coaches to this point but expects there will be some interest. Curry's probation can be transferred out of state.

Curry, a 6-foot-3 guard, accepted a scholarship offer from former North Carolina coach Matt Doherty following his sophomore year at Eastern Alamance. He was one of four players in this year's high school senior class to have signed letters of intent to play for the Tar Heels, which, combined with 10 returning scholarship players, put UNC over the 13-scholarship limit.

While North Carolina's admissions policies do not preclude the enrollment of a student who's been convicted of a felony, Williams said the university's admissions office and administration agreed it was best to withdraw the scholarship.

9. The Brain

I'm actually glad to see UNC take the high road on this. If I were the school I'd reconsider him again if he were to spend a year in prep school, and took the extra effort to show he was an improved citizen.

10. HighPoint49er

I'm with wossa, the worst thing Curry could do now is to sign with a school with a "reputation" and perpetuate this entire ordeal during his college career.