1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Jake takes the blame for 1-4

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by PantherFanz, Oct 18, 2004.

1. PantherFanz

PantherFanz Go Panthers

This is all fine and good, and shows leadership. Time for his teamates to step up and defend him on the field with better execution
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Delhomme takes blame for Panthers' 1-4 start WEB POLL
    04:59 PM EDT on Monday, October 18, 2004

By JENNA FRYER / Associated Press

Quick Poll
    Who do you think is to blame for the Panthers' 1-4 start? Coach John FoxJake DelhommeDefenseMarty HurneyOtherView ResultsVote in other PollsWhen the finger-pointing begins on the Carolina Panthers, quarterback Jake Delhomme wants it to be in his direction.

Delhomme is shouldering the blame for the Panthers' 1-4 start, particularly after throwing four interceptions in Sunday's 30-8 loss to Philadelphia.

"We're not getting it done, especially offensively, and it has to fall on the quarterback," he said. "I just felt extremely good about what we were going to do out here, but it's just not happening.

"We're not carrying it over. I'm one that's not carrying it over. It's hard for me to look around and see who else might not be, when certainly I'm not holding up close to my end of the bargain."

Delhomme currently leads the NFL with nine interceptions, and his third-down quarterback rating (31 percent) is worst in the league.

But Carolina coach John Fox refused Monday to place the blame on Delhomme.

"Each individual play, people have things they have to execute, " Fox said. "I couldn't begin to put it all on him. That's the kind of guy he is (to take the blame.)

"But I know from my standpoint, I don't feel it's all him."

Through five games this season, Delhomme is 99-for-168 for 1,150 yards and seven touchdowns.

A year ago he was 65-for-113 for 691 yards, five touchdowns and five interceptions -- and the Panthers were 5-0.

But part of Carolina's offensive problems start with the overhauled offensive line, where only two players from last season are back. The replacements have not been stellar, and Delhomme is constantly getting knocked down or rushing throws from a quickly collapsing pocket.

Delhomme would never use the line as an excuse, and refused to blame his play Sunday on a vicious hit he received from Jevon Kearse in the second quarter. Replays showed the tackle was helmet-to-helmet, although the officials didn't call it, and after the initial hit, Delhomme's head slammed into teammate Tutan Reyes.

Delhomme appeared woozy after the play, and needed a timeout to collect himself. Fox said Monday he was submitting the play to the league officials for review.

Penalty or not, Delhomme wasn't the same after the hit.

Before the hit he had been 5-of-6 with no interceptions; After he was 19-for-36 with four picks.

"I wish I could use (the hit) as an excuse," he said. "But I can't."

2. bkfountain

bkfountain Full Access Member

like I said before, he's the only one that cares. I'm sure no one will step up and admit they've sucked so far.

3. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

Did you read where Minter said they accomplished what they set out to do yesterday for the most part in stopping the run? I hope there was more to it then that like, it was an awful game, but we did a better job of stopping the run then in Denver. Can't imagine Minter of all folks saying they accomplished what they set out to do.

4. PantherMills

PantherMills Under the Radar

I'd say Minter was right.

5. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Full Access Member

I think they did stop the run up to the Westbrook TD.. and the game was all but decided then...

6. Coops Greatest Fan

Coops Greatest Fan I just post here

Although I'm glad to see someone step up and take the blame, I don't blame Jake for the losses. Did Chris ever step up and take any blame for the 1-15 season a few years back??? :teeth:

7. Clay

Clay Full Access Member

Well if Davis and Smith didn't cough the ball up and the D could have stopped Green in the GB game, we would have won. Can't blame jake for the losses. Maybe Philly, but he was damaged goods.

8. Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot The Voice of Reason

I'd agree with that. Unfortunately, we didn't get enough pressure on McNabb to keep him from completing passes. The ends did okay, but the commentators talked a lot about how we got no pressure up the middle.

9. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

I don't care to see this word used in reference to this O-line. UNDERhauled is more applicable.

There are so many things that factor into the teams current status. Off-season prep may very well have something to do with it, injuries definately play a role, bad front office moves in the off-season have to right up there as well. This team just isn't the same, it's as if they are trying to find themselves after already establishing an identity last year. They seem to have lost sight of that identity.

10. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

I think Jake's feeling the pressure of his first big contract, along with the other stuff. And with each instance of negative reinforcement it's spiraling further (in his case, wobbling?) out of control. He and the whole team are totally psyched out.
    We badly need a patsy we can beat to get back some confidence, but I'm not sure we could find a D bad enough to make our OL look good.