1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

J-Stew

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by LarryD, Dec 27, 2009.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    went back and watched some again.
    Guy is the best running back we've ever had.

I know, he hasn't had the greatest season like DW, but when he gets the carries he's performed. And his first two years are better than we've ever had out of a back in two years, minus DW, who was a third and fourth year in those years. Stewart's still 31 games into a career.

If he could show he could practice regularly, you might turn the keys over to him fulltime.

2. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

I wouldn't be adverse to trading DW for the right compensation. Not that I like Stewart that much more but thinking forward it seems to be a possibility you have to consider. Then again does anyone trade for rbs anymore?

3. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Other things come up....

4. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

most recent I can think of is Thomas Jones as far trades for a franchise RB.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I think for a RB like that, someone would trade.
    I wouldn't - maybe after 2010 if they tagged and traded him. I'm not committed to another 5 years of one back when we have another, so I don't know that we try to wrap up DW for a big deal.

But, right now people are taking Stewart's success and attempting to get rid of DW right now.

There are a lot of people that think you have to get rid of a RB or Smith to get a QB. For one, if Moore can do it, others can. Two, I wouldn't want a QB in here - a young one especially - without all of these tools.

But, when you absolutely get down to it, maybe we could survive without DW. The hard part comes if/when Stewart can't practice, and whether the two guys behind our duo can really handle a load this heavy.

6. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

People tried to do this after the bears game last year.

7. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

I never thought about until it was brought up. I'm thinking about it in terms of being able to get a great player at a position that is harder to find than RB. Like how Denver got Bailey. I'm not thinking about him as bait for a qb at all really.

8. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

I don't know if Goodson or Sutton could step up and be a solid #2 next year. I'd rather keep DeAngelo around next year and then sign Stewart if that's what it came down to. I doubt we can afford to sign them both to huge deals. I'll take the bruiser with less miles over DeAngelo, although I'd hate to lose him. I think some undervalue what he's done the last two years. I know I waited a long time to see a Panther back do something like that consistently.

edit: And as spectacular as he was last year, he still didn't make the Pro Bowl. I guess he's got a shot this year but I wouldn't think he'd get in on merit. DeAngelo is a great back but can he get any better? I think Stewart can likely still improve.

9. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

I'm exaggerating a little. You have to admit that we've abandoned the run in some of our games this year, even when it's working, which is staggering when you look at how good those two guys are.

And I love Stewey, but DW is the best we've ever had. I doubt you can get anything equal in return, so our best option might be trying to keep those two together for as long as possible.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

we did abandon at times. There have been situations where we've fucked ourselves and it doesn't matter what we do, and a few where we probably would've fared better by simply running more.