1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

I've decided I want a TE

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by y2b, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

I was watching Miller play at some point this year wishing we had him, but then again would we USE him as a true receiver threat? Every now and then, out of the blue, we seem to remember we have TEs and that they are eligible receivers and use them, then they vanish again. Can't remember which game, but it was at BOA and at some point I turned to my hubby and said "Is Henning out sick because we've thrown to TEs MULTIPLE times today"

2. y2b

y2b King of QC

I don't think it's Henning...I think Mangum sucks, Gaines is below average, and Seidman is a bust...all three can go as far as I'm concerned

If we had Miller and threw to him the same amount of times we've thrown to our TE's... it'd be enough to take a LB off Smith and probably improve our 3rd down percentage 150%

3. y2b

y2b King of QC

our TE's drop more passes than they catch...going to them isn't the issue, the issue is them coming through

4. Guest

Guest Full Access Member

Henning uses the TEs as blockers....it's a known fact.....it's called max protection and Jake needs it so he can have time to find Smith while he is covered by 4 DBs....also....Davis, Foster and Goings need it so they can run the ball for 2.5-3 yards a carry.

5. buck nasty

buck nasty Full Access Member

i thought this thread was about you dumping fred.

6. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

Yes, we do use the TEs as blockers, and they HAVE to be able to block, but I get the impression we'd like to throw to the TEs more. We don't use them because we donum't have them. Walls couldnt block, and was hurt. We throw to Mangum, and would more if he were better. I think we'd like to throw to Gaines more if we could. They experimented with it. Seidman just isnt very good. How many times has Jake looked for Mangum, but not thrown it? We don't know. I bet its significant.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I'm guessing that Jake doesn't look at Mangum long, but if he's open, he throws. mangum just isn't open much. Gaines, way I take it, is that he's good enough, but not able to be in on all of the offense.

But yeah, Henning did say he wanted more receiving there; his offenses rarely put up a 30-catch TE, though he does use 2 and I'm too lazy to look up cumulative receptions per year.

8. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

Well the only Carolina player to make the list of top 20 in the NFC for dropped passes is Smith who is tied for 8th with 7. Considering there are 14 people at the bottom of that top 20 with 5 it's hard to see how Gaines, Mangum and Seidman with only 35 catches between them can have more than 35 drops when there isn't one of them with even 5.

9. UNCfever

UNCfever Full Access Member

I know Walls wasn't the greatest blocker, but when healthy and he was catching the ball our offense seemed to be a lot more consistant.

I have always advocated a good pass catching TE for Jake. I honestly think it's one of the key things that would help Jake with some of the problems he has when pressured and making decisions.

But unless we would adjust the offense to use said TE, it would just be a waste.

10. UNCfever

UNCfever Full Access Member

2005 TE - 35 total catches

2004 TE - 51 total catches

2003 TE - 30 total catches

2002 TE - 43 total catches

2001 TE - 61 total catches

2000 TE - 55 total catches

1999 TE - 68 total catches

1998 TE - 55 total catches