1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

I've decided I want a TE

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by y2b, Jan 26, 2006.

1. y2b

y2b King of QC

I know we could use some help at OL, certainly need to address the RB situation, and some questions are at LB...

BUT I WANT A KICK-ASS TIGHT END DAMMIT!

2. Foxman

Foxman Don't read th

Jane Fonda is used by many.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    We gotta have something else. What we have is fine, and I could see them staying put.
    I could also see them finally upgrading. Seidman is UFA in a year, Gaines RFA in a year. Mangum's got third longest tenure of the entire roster.

Our O is curious. A run-based, playaction team that doesn't use the TE. And yet we have two TE sets all over the place. Sure, they're blocking TEs, but you'd assume a team like this would have one good receiving option, and that they'd use said player to get behind LBs in playaction situations.

Plus, Jake needs a secondary target. We don't use the RBs that way that often, Foster excluded; we don't use the TEs that way often, either. You've gotta have the ability to check to a steady receiver.

We need one of two things - size or speed. We don't have that much of either, though Gaines is fat enough to be considered size. Odd - we don't have height at either TE or LB.

4. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Then apparently we need to get Jake a second pair of eyes so he can lock onto that secondary target.

5. Proprietor

Proprietor Family feeder

I do not study this stuff like Mags, but I was (amateurishly) wishing for Ben Watson/Ben Troupe in 2004's draft. Looking back, if used properly, I would have taken Watson over Gamble.

Don't get me wrong....Gamble has been a fine player for us. But it's not like he hasn't been taken to the woodshed a few times. In hindsight, I wouldn't have been too thrilled with RMJ starting right now, but our offense would have a third dimension with Watson in there.

Too bad, I guess.

6. y2b

y2b King of QC

I wouldn't think twice trading our #1 for a Ben Watson or a Heath Miller...

I think our WR's are fine and just need more time. Carter has bearly seen action in the NFL and Colbert actually has moved to a different role. Sophmore slump or whatever....I feel like a TE would compliment Smitty more then upgrading WR

and dumping off to Robertson just made me sick to my stomach

7. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

This guy can do all those things, but he'll probably be gone by the time the Panthers pick.

[​IMG]

8. Proprietor

Proprietor Family feeder

Off the subject a bit:

I think that Seward might be a factor within two years for a starting spot. I don't think he's Sam Huff, but he looked good in camp, and made some plays on ST. Coaches were high on him all summer.

I also think that TD will always wear 47, and never officially move to LB. Of course, I could be totally wrong on that one. I think Minter's age was just as much a factor in drafting TD as was Witherspoon's contract status.:twocents:

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I like both those thoughts (and did state a couple days ago that Seward and Davis could both be starting at LB, by 2007, if WW goes, since both Short and Draft will then be FAs).

10. Proprietor

Proprietor Family feeder

I don't like advertising this kind of crap, but it's relevant so what the hell.

My aunt is a business partner with Spoon and Morgan. She invited me to come up and have dinner with Will, his wife and baby. What am I gonna say? "NO?"

Shit.

It was a blast. Very unassuming couple. Would never guess they lived the NFL life.

That was in November, right after the Jets game. He was quiet about it, but he dropped hints. Like how he's close with Terry Cousin, and how he has property down in Florida.

He didn't come out and say it, but he's got to be looking at Jacksonville, right? JDR. Nice front 4 to play behind. Nice weather. Regional move.

I don't know. My aunt seems to be 50/50 on what he's gonna do. She and Will are pretty close, so I will try to keep all here posted.

There....that's my bragging for today.

**note: the story you just read makes me neither an insider, nor some sort of bad ass. Just a lucky son-of-a-bitch.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006