1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Is this really discipline ????

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by uncc86, Jul 16, 2003.

1. uncc86

uncc86 Full Access Member

Yeah, I looked at that other board........and read this comment in the "Doherty thread" from Lefty.

"I don't think Grier should have played the UAB game but the coaches had planned to discipline/penalize him this year. According to a PM I got from one of metro's screen names, he would have sat out the first three games of this season. I guess the coaches decided to finish the year and penalize the next."

Did the 49ers coaching staff REALLY think that this was effective discipline for Grier (and more importantly, an effective statement towards the rest of the team) ??

Of course, stranger things have happened at other schools. But IMO, hearing that Lutz's staff even considered this is extremely disappointing to me.

Can someone help me see where I'm being too critical of Bobby & his staff ???

2. MikeNinerHunt

MikeNinerHunt Fast white guy

I only have one thing to ask of you 86: stop apoligizing. YOu're on TBR now. I do think that was a shitty punishment. It stings even worse that we got our ass beat in that game also.

3. metro

metro Charlotte49erfootballfan

I can see it now. My daughter lies to me about putting crayon on the wall, and she is supposed to go to the pool that afternoon, but I say "you can go to the pool today, but next weekend you can't go because you drew all over the walls"

Lutz is too soft on these guys.

4. Urban

Urban Full Access Member

So are you saying he colored outside the lines or your daughter is Vincent Grier. Shoveling shit, again.

5. uncc86

uncc86 Full Access Member

Re: Re: Is this really discipline ????

Fair enough....As I said, I had just been over in the land of make-believe, plus I was hungry......therefore, my mind was not working on all cylinders..........that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

What's my penalty ?? I'm willing to accept anything BUT bowling with Conway,watching Memphis football or responding to one of Burban's stupid polls.

Now with all of that said.........lets get back to the subject at hand.

Lutz should be damn happy that he's at a school that flies so far under the radar. Just like Coach Doherty never got the players respect, Lutz is encouraging a lack of chemistry & respect to him (& the staff) by doing these types of things.

I wish I had enough proof to substantiate this (& contacts in the media) because IMO this would be an issue that a normal sports media market would crave.

6. Charlotte2002

Charlotte2002 Full Access Member

It has been pretty obvious over the years that Lutz isn't much of a disciplinarian. I could tell from watching some practices, to how certain players were treated and from stories from inside. The fact is Lutz needs a team where he has players to keep the house in order, he can coach his ass off, but lacks in the discipline department. Look at our teams over his tenure. We had a good nucleus of players who wanted to win during his first year, his second year we had absolutely no talent, but still made the NIT. His third season we had great talent, but somewhat underachieved but had some leadership. His fourth year we had good leadership and a fairly good season. His fifth season...awful. The fact that we had only 1 senior and no leader showed, which resulted in a very turbulent season.

I think the decline goes back to the type of players he is recruiting. He is overlooking leadership and chemistry for talent, and when it comes to young kids who all think they are going to make the NBA, that is a very explosive thing.

Cam is the only true leader that Lutz has brought in during his tenure. This season we will find out if he has brought in anymore, with Eddie Basden being a junior now and Plav being named captain before even suiting up. Demon had his opportunity this past season and we saw what happened, hopefully he can learn from it and step up his leadership as well.

7. Urban

Urban Full Access Member

Cam was leader of smokin the wacky weed...metro reported some time ago or was he shoveling his shit out his ass again.

8. TheGraduate

TheGraduate Full Access Member

I loved Cam, but he was certainly no leader. He may have tried to act like it on the court but a true leader does it both on and off. He was in trouble on a number of occasions.

9. Charlotte2002

Charlotte2002 Full Access Member

Cam's personality made him a leader, he was the type of player all the other players liked and respected.

Face is not every athlete lives the model life that many people think one should live. Underage drinking, smoking weed, partying, hooking up with tons of girls, etc. is common amongst regular college students and athletes, it is a part of college and a part of life.

But taking my earlier statement even further with your observation, then Coach Lutz has never brought in true leader.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2003
  10. NinerAl

NinerAl Full Access Member

Careful.....some will have him going to rehab with Plav for pounding a couple of beers:rolleyes: .

Exactly!!

BTW, I just learned how to use quotes.