1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

I voted aginst the Arena

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Puttingood, Jan 11, 2003.

1. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I tell ya what... I'm all for the new arena... primarily because of the POTENTIAL it has to begining a downtown expansion... but damned if that's not the funniest line I've heard...

2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Originally posted by cantgetright
    Meat- it is saving you money. If those buildinngs weren't in private hands tax money would be used for its upkeep. In private hands they genrate money and don't call on your money for it's upkeep. That simple math. Government growing yes- that's a different subject for a different board however.

Well I'm talkling about it on this board.

If not the arena then what? This money by law has to be spent on a tourism related project-It can't be used for schools, roads, or firefighters. So I'm asking what other project could we use this money on that would have as great an impact on our local economy and spur economic growth?

This is the problem. Government collects money and has extra and decides it needs to be spent the way they allocated it. I disagree with this policy, although it seems to be more of a philosophy when discussing it with liberals. The 'project' should be a tax cut, or better yet a tax refund. Anytime money is taken away from government, to me, it's better.

If your against it because you can think of a better investment for the money I can respect that but, If it's just no with no better option or ideas than you have lost the arguement/debate as far as I'm concerned.

All of my ideas were stated, I guess you didn't read / misread them. My opinion is that the money is better off in the hands of the people that were taxed. Government should not be in the entertainment business. There's alot more that I said that it appears you missed. And I'm not debating / arguing, I'm stating an opinion, and you haven't. All you've done is do a very poor job of analyzing and criticizing mine.

3. cantgetright

cantgetright Full Access Member

My whole post wasn't aimed at you just the part about Your Tax money.

Well your idea is to give back the tax money to the person who paid it right?

Well Bob Johnson being a billionaire and all -has paid more in taxes than everyone on this board combined so, I guess you are getting your way. Johnson in essence is getting a 265 million dollar tax rebate check and is building a new arena for Charlotte to own. :D

BTW- Can anybody think of a project better than the arena for the money? I'm interested in hearing some other options.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  4. Piper

Piper phishin member

OK, if the Gods will forgive me for going off topic….

I agree that capatalism is good. However.

If government involvement in the economy, through either building an arena or low interest loans, to attract business is bad for capatalism.

Basically, our economy has never grown faster than it has in the past 70 years. We’ve never made so much money. Why is it that this growth didn’t happen before we started getting into such things.

5. Guest

Guest Full Access Member

The deal is done. You guys can add this to your list of things you don't want your tax dollars to pay for.

YEEEHAAAAAAAA!

6. Xantos

Xantos Full Access Member

Solution: move to Statesville or Gastonia.......The Arena was going to get built at some point. It's in the 2010 plan....Better now than paying a couple Billion dollars 5 or 6 yerars from now.

Unfortuantly this city is not going to stop growing, Live with it or move. Then you or anybody that want to cry taxes want have anything to cry about.

Who's paying for the old Arena...We are. No Major Tenant, No Tornament Games, No Concerts, ect.

How much revenue did the Bowl Game bring a couple of weeks ago?
    The Media got this city thinking we are gonna have to pay at some point, and maybe we will, but with 100 already on the table, and The Hotel Motel Tax, we might have to pay 5 to 10%, better than what we would have had to pay if the referendum would have passed.

How much did Mr Johnson pay for his team?
    I think it was the sum of 300 Million....

Johnson pays Millions in Taxes

Last edited: Jan 14, 2003
  7. Puttingood

Puttingood Sensitive One

Solution: move to Statesville or Gastonia....... Xantos

I ain't moving nowhere Xantos but one thing for sure is that you ain't going to no ball games for awhile unless you do.:roflmao:

If you want to discuss something then don't come in here with childish junk suggesting people move. You apparently did not read all the posts and now you gonna post a link to a Bulletin Board to prove a fact.

Tell me Xantos--how much tax will Mr. Johnson be paying on this arena ? You got any figures on that ?

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    well, he'd be paying a lot, seeing as how he comes from out of town.

You missed his point - if you don't want to pay tax on it, you have to move. I dunno what point that is, since it's a travel related tax.

9. reddtroll

reddtroll intolerate member

I was wondering if we can use some of that money to build a new jail beside the arena to house the players? :D

10. Puttingood

Puttingood Sensitive One

You missed his point - if you don't want to pay tax on it, you have to move. I dunno what point that is, since it's a travel related tax.

;) I think he missed my point. I never said I wasn't or didn't want to pay taxes on it. I said " don't grease that baby up and shove it up my ass and then try to convince me it ain't tax dollars helping private enterprise."