1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

I voted aginst the Arena

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Puttingood, Jan 11, 2003.

1. lj4three

lj4three Resident Non-A-Rab

the taxes that are earmarked for the arena are TOURIST taxes that can only be spent on entertainment/tourist related projects, by NC STATE law. if you guys have a problem with allocating the said tourist taxes to fund entertainment and tourist projects, take it up with the state. NO taxes will be increased.

2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Buddy, I ain't arguing anything except I think it's wrong. I'll take it up with whoever brings it up on a goddam discussion board.

And taxes WILL be increased. To tourists. That's a tax, dumbass.

3. Piper

Piper phishin member

And it isn't like it is going to be used just for the NBA. The city can use the facility to attract other events. Maybe Charlotte will get some decent concerts now in the Spring, Fall and Winter.

Certainly MSG and the like are what they are because of the events they attract themselves, not because of the Knicks.

4. Puttingood

Puttingood Sensitive One

It's not funding a private business- it's investing in our own city.

:D that's funny. It is investing in our own city but it is definitely funding a private business. In order for people to believe in this thing then the facts have to given truthfully. How much tax money went into the stadium ? How much tax money went into the speedway? How much tax money is going into Joes diner down on South Blvd. You got a good argument but you and others kill the integrity of it by saying "It's not funding private enterprise" when the bare facts and the truth is that it is MOST definitely funding private enterprise.;)

There are hundreds of companies that bring people in to town and give them rental cars. The downtown motels are full during the week because of taxpaying companies that bring people in. So, the hotel tax is not just made up of tourists that want to tour our fair city. These companies endure higher and higher taxes each year and they pay it. Close to 50% of all motels in Mecklenburg county are used as extended stay motels. These people work in this county. That tax that everyone hollers about is not totally comprised of the Smith family on vacation.Some that pay that tax have to miss a meal in a local restaurant because of the high tax.
    Is there a guarantee that the NBA will even be in business next year or 10 years from now?
    None of it makes any nevermind to me. I will go to the games and I will pay my taxes but the city council or no one else can tell me I ain't getting fucked when I am standing there with a dick up my ass.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    now if this were for something like baseball I'm sure there'd be a completely different tone.

6. Guest

Guest Full Access Member

How much money went to the BMW plant? How much goes to Lake Norman and Wyle development? How much goes to subsidize farming? The government subsidizing the private sector is not new. They have been doing it for years.

7. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

And I disagree with all of it.

8. lj4three

lj4three Resident Non-A-Rab

actually, taxes wont be increased- their appropriation will be towards the arena project, instead of lets say a museum or cultural center.

9. Puttingood

Puttingood Sensitive One

now if this were for something like baseball I'm sure there'd be a completely different tone.

Not from me it wouldn't Mag if that was directed at me for what ever reason. My tone on any funding of private business is the same regardless. I have spent more money on sports in this town than most you guys have ever made in your life. What sport it is has no bearing on it and it is very sad that someone would think so.
    The issue is tax money funding the private sector. Whether it has happened before is not the point and whether it happens again is not the point. The point is--it ain't right. I am like Meat-- I disagree with all of it.
    LJ likes to say taxes won't be increased. Thats cause they already have been year after year. And you can bet your sweet ass that they will go up and rest assured that it will affect the citizens of Charlotte in some way shape or form.

10. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

you're still a dumbass, dumbass.