1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

I REALLY wish we could find a trade down partner

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by The Brain, Jan 9, 2011.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    yeah, fuck him.

2. Odin

Odin Full Access Member

Absolutely. The only way I'd trade w/ SF is if we face rape them Ditka-style.
    If they cough up 3 #1's, and a player maybe, I think about it.
    Their rate is triple anyone else.

3. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

No draft picks this year will sign until there is a new CBA, which will likely include a wage scale. Luck didn't pass on as much money as people think.

4. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

I'd take two 1st and two 2nds, even knowing that they might be picking 16-20 or even lower next year.

They pick 7th and 46th this draft, which isn't that great but getting extra picks next year too I do it.

Complicating this is the small window we'd have for deciding to do the trade, just a few days.

Probably won't have a coach and staff in place, if there's someone we really want that #1 could be some enticement if there's someone among the top two or three guys they're in love with. But then I'd think having 7, 46, 65 and two 1sts and 2nds next year would be a pretty strong draw too.

5. Skidmark

Skidmark Full Access Member

Not so fast. We would get a player we want (Green, Peterson, Dareus, or Fairley). We aren't doing any better than that now. If we deny the trade, Luck stays and we are no better off.

I would offer the #1 spot for their entire draft and their #1 pick next year.

6. Skidmark

Skidmark Full Access Member

After looking at what teams would need to trade, needs, and considering a bunch of factors, I conclude that the most likely trade-down partners are Cleveland (4th) and Dallas (9th). Cleveland has needs at CB and WR, and I think they would not be interested in Jones because his hands are questionable at times and they had Braylon Edwards. So, they want to give McCoy the best weapon possible. Holmgren sees no other #1 WR options and knows Carolina might take him as well, so they trade.

What it would take for Cleveland to get the #1 pick: Their first (swap) a second rounder in 2011 and a second rounder in 2012. They have so many needs and the odds are that Peterson or Green drops to them. I would not make this trade, unless I was in love with Green and wanted to give Colt a #1 WR.

What would it take for Dallas to get the #1 pick? After swapping first rounders (1, 9), Carolina would get Dallas' second rounder in 2011 and their first rounder in 2012. Since Dallas has few needs, going after Peterson might be the kind of bold move Jerry Jones likes. Anticipating a rookie scale, he will be brash. I think this is the most likely trading partner.

Picking ninth, I anticipate the following will be off the board:
    Peterson, Amurkamara CBs
    Green WR
    Fairley, Dareus DTs
    Bowers, Quinn DE
    Sherrod, LOT

That would leave the panthers: Julio Jones, WR; Every QB, A lot of DEs, Mark Ingram, RB (if DW is traded)--

Scenarios:
    Panthers draft Julio Jones, WR in the first. Jimmy Smith, CB in the second. The 2012 Dallas first rounder is likely somewhere between 20-28.

Panthers draft Cam Newton QB in the first, Jimmy Smith CB in the second.The 2012 Dallas first rounder is likely somewhere between 20-28.

Panthers draft Brandon Harris CB in the first, Jake Locker QB in the second.The 2012 Dallas first rounder is likely somewhere between 20-28.

You get the idea.

My feelings? Trade with Cleveland and take Peterson when he drops to you. Then use the fourth rounder to trade up in the second to get Stephen Paea, DT. Pretty solid start, and the D is set, so focus on the offense with the rest of the draft.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  7. rake

rake Need one of these

>>>>>I REALLY wish we could find a trade down partner<<<<<<<

when you're the homeliest most po mutha fucka at the club you are not going to be attracting any sort of partner . . . unless she's really homely too, with some extra chunk and funk and a hairy upper lip

8. Mills51

Mills51 Full Access Member

With the lockout looking pretty likely to happen, I wonder if trading OUT of this year's draft might not be a reasonable option. Maybe Denver or Cincy would give us their top 3 picks in next years draft for this year's 1st and we could double our chances of winning the Luck lottery next year (or whoever is next year's sure thing).