1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

hurney

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by TOTALPACKAGE, Jul 23, 2012.

1. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

I think Pep wasn't dealt because JR didn't want to let him leave, in part, and Fox was screaming NO!!!! in part as well.

I think Armanti is a Panther because JR wanted him to be.

I think T Davis got paid when he did because JR wanted him taken care of.

But I have no way to know what the facts are.

As far as the terms of these and other deals, I doubt JR had anything to do with that part, other than to sign off.

The draft trades where we moved into the first/gave up high future picks SUCKED. The future picks and who we gave them up for. I'm not a Hurney fan in the least.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

I understand people having thoughts like this if they are completely ignorant as to what a "general manager" does. You're talking like he's JR's personal assistant. It's also funny to me that magnus argues earlier in this thread that Hurney has some kind of long-term plan/vision and then argues that he's actually not making his own decisions at all but just carrying out the whims of the owner.

My "crusade" against Hurney is solely because he's inexcusably awful and has greatly undermined the team I'm a fan of. That pisses me off.

3. Black&Blue_

Black&Blue_ _

[​IMG]

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    goes back to JR visiting Foster in the hospital, and further than that on some of these. To suggest there's no way the owner of the team has thoughts on who should stay, is about as foolish as getting mad because they think it's a means of abdicating the GM, or that it in any way makes the GM look better.

The guy was more or less as influential in the CBA as anyone. He's going to be hands-off with his team, a year after he gave the order to gut the team? That seems highly unlikely.

Take it a step further. JR's this hands on with the team - enough to dismiss his kids - and to pre-plan an exit for his coach in conjunction with a gutting of the team, planned a full year in advance, but he'd have no opinion on what to do (that included sending essentially all his important football staff to Miami) following the lockout he helped make happen, and the CBA he helped make happen? Suddenly he's out of the loop?

And no, Hurney having a plan isn't mutually exclusive from JR having his say when it's time to make a decision.

5. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

Yay for misdirected spending.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

really would be nice to have some of those contracts back.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

I'm pretty sure that I've never claimed that Jerry Richardson is an absentee owner. He's a guy who has always been deeply involved, to the point that he can usually be found at or around the stadium. It's his passion. I object to the notion for some Hurney apologists that the Panthers' general manager isn't really a general manager at all, but instead serves as JR's cuckold.

You're not suggesting that JR just "has his say," as I have no problem with that notion. What you said is that "Hurney is there because he wields just enough power but gives a lot of it away," hence the cuckold reference.

8. Ted Striker

Ted Striker ... over Macho Grande

My view on hurney and the influence of JR is that if Hurney were a real GM, guys like Ron Wolf, Jerry Reese and Bill Polian are autonomous. Owners hire them to build teams and make the tough decisions of when to let good players go or work a team friendly deal to keep long time vets around. I just dont see Hurney as the type of guy that would look Jerry in the face and say " look, I know you love the guy, but player X is past it. We need player Y or we can get player Z in the draft. Fuck man, we can draft 6 running backs for that kinda money."

I whole heartedly agree that Hurney is a moron. My thing is thats what Jerry wants. Ask yourself this: If you owned the team, how may years ago would Hurney have been fired? Are Jerrys kids(quite ironic) gone because they told the old man he was going Al Davis?

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

yeah, no one's saying anything you just quoted. He's a GM. He also reports to someone with influence, and doesn't power struggle above or below. It doesn't mean he's blameless, since that's all you're really interested in.

10. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

No, his personal assistant would be doing shit like getting Marty on the phone, so JR could tell him how to run JR's football team.

A lot of this shit over the years just doesn't make a lick of sense and the thing that comes closest to making sense of it to me is that JR is pulling strings.

Doesn't make me a Hurney apologist in the least. I've been railing against many of these moves for years and Hurney's name is on them. JR isn't negotiating deals, running the draft, etc