1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

How long Foster is our stater?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Thelt, May 1, 2006.

1. Meth

Meth Member

I'm drunk tonight, but the fact you even compaired Portis to Goins is fucking hillarious. Portis is setting records in DC, what has any running back you have ever done?

2. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

We're talking about depth, right? Nobody compared Goings to Portis.

So, watcha got behind Portis?

3. rake

rake Need one of these

. .. played in the Super Bowl and a NFC Championship game in the past few seasons while yours have been sitting home watching (for how many years running?)

4. buck nasty

buck nasty Full Access Member

the issue is that no matter how much sense it makes or doesn't make, foxy and henning don't split carries up between running backs. they will use 1 to spell the other, but so far we have no reason at all to believe there will ever be anything close to a 50-50 split. they pick a horse and ride him until he can't ride any more. we're trying to find one that keeps on riding.

5. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

Actually if that is what you thought I meant no wonder you are confused. The Emmitt numbers I was referring to were the almost 100yards per game, the 4.3 ypc, and a 3/4 TD per game average. There is NO way he gets 1500+ yards unless Foster is out before the season begins. As I said, Nick Goings had those type numbers in 8 starts (but with only 3.8 ypc) in 2004 and the Panthers cut NO ONE. Foster is a consistant 4.3 ypc back (when he's no injured) putting him in company with the likes of LT, James, Portis, Anderson, Jackson, and Williams to name a few. If you really believe that Williams just has to show up on the field and play well for Foster to be cut you are insane.

6. Purrsecutioner

Purrsecutioner Full Access Member

No shit. But when Davis came in, he was the starter regardless of Foster's presence, and FOster had to eventually work his way back to work Davis out.

I talked with Foster once, and he said it was painful to him that in order to become a full time starter, which he wanted to do, he would have to take Davis' job.

But I do get your point, and it was bad wording on my part. I suppose I shouldve said: I wonder if Foster will act as a mentor to Williams, knowing that although the two will share time, Williams will ultimately be vying for his job.

7. Purrsecutioner

Purrsecutioner Full Access Member

Wondering how much who will be active?? Williams???

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Williams may be that guy, but they didn't exactly get a huge guy there, either. He could stand up to 300 carries, but I'm against using any of our backs that way when possible.
    Plus, last year showed that they can easily mix the two players, and after committing 5 mil a year to one guy, drafting another shows that maybe that's a continuing trend. With all honesty we did mix up Davis and Foster in 03, but their usage of Foster on most of the pass sets and Davis on run sets left Davis getting a huge amount of the work. Not that it otherwise would've been 50/50 obviously, and I'm not stating that Foster/DW will be 50/50, but there should be liberal subbing, which is considerable since both players are of a similar style.

9. cathead

cathead Full Access Member

Williams' nickname is "sweet tea". Please, I'm getting tired of the D-Lo, D-Mac and all that D-Shit.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    They have Ladell Betts, who isn't awful. I had to come back down off the idea of trading for him, though, because he's not that good either. The idea was that he was a bigger guy used as a KR, and that wouldn't be awful. But we certainly have done much better now, and certainly have as much depth as anyone in the league.

As to whether Foster is on a very short rope or not, like I said, Fox generally does't cut contracts in the middle just to save a little. A lot of these guys who do get released for cap reasons are near the end or at the end of contracts (Short and Buckner were in final years, Davis was simply done). However, it does remain to be seen whether they gave Foster a huge deal just to keep him for the short term, or whether they intended to do so in intent of keeping him around a few years. That would realistically change their expectations.

Last edited: May 4, 2006