1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

How long Foster is our stater?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Thelt, May 1, 2006.

1. Fred Smoot's Father

Fred Smoot's Father the future is bright

Perhaps (and not to sound to much like those morons on NFL Live) you'll see, on rare occasion, Foster lined up in the slot, with Williams in the backfield. DF has shown an ability to catch the football and rack up nice yardage thereafter. More importantly, Foster and Williams will keep defenses off-balance.

Watching Atlanta over the years, I have longed for Dunn. The quick burst to the hole, the ablility to make guys miss. Williams is a little bigger, and probably different in more ways than I realize. But watching DW reminds me of Dunn.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  2. rake

rake Need one of these

IMO that's a pretty good comparison . . . might be more accurate than the Emmitt Smith one. To have Foster, a Dunn-like change o' pace guy, and to have Shelton quickly evolve into the bruising short yardage guy many of us were hoping for when he was drafted - THAT would not be suckin :D

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

Williams (210lbs) is quite a bit thicker and stronger than Dunn (180lbs). The style comparison is fine, but he really is more like Emmitt Smith. Whether or not he'll be as good is an entirely separate question, but they have similar running styles and similar body types.

4. FAN01

FAN01 Full Access Member

I think (hope) that Foster is set for a breakout year. We've seen him do it in bursts and the only thing to stop him is injury.

Imagine if Williams is as advertised and Foster can stay healthy. We've got those two guys locked up for at least the next 3 years.

I can't wait for the season to start. With our upgraded O-line we should be a true run first team again.

5. rake

rake Need one of these

I think (hope) that Foster will be extra special flippity doo dah motivated to run his ass off with a talented (and appropriately hyped) 1st rounder straining at the leash on the sidelines. If any of us were Foster we would do our utmost to keep the rook on the sidelines watching for as long as possible and you can bet on Foster doing the same.
    Just watch Foster explode this year . . . I bet he won't be complaining much about any lil' nagging injuries that might have kept him from totin' in the past.)

6. rake

rake Need one of these

Unfortunately, in today's NFL fans can not count on ANYone being locked up the way that greed has run amuck. Anyone here know who Williams agent is yet?

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Specifically, there's a $3 million cap hit for cutting Foster after this year. After 07, there's no charge, since once you get into July 07, his prorated 08 bonus already counts against 08.

8. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

NO way Williams comes in and takes Fosters starting job barring a total melt down by Foster. I hate to see Goings role diminished as he has been a total gamer for the Panthers. W/O him we would have been in the dumper in a few games if not season (2 years back). Shelton really has to wonder wtf is going on. He had better get ready to run behind the third string line this pre season and be fighting for his job ala our former VTU defensive player that was drafted high and then waived the following year. (Can't remember his name :banginghe

9. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

So Foster is pretty well a lock for us for two more years but after that could be cut? Williams and a resurgent Shelton would not suck.

As long as Foster is healthy he is a pretty good back. At least now we have a legit guy for when not if Foster goes down. It Williams reminds anyone of Emmitt Smith this time next year then we just hit the mohter load.

10. Fred Smoot's Father

Fred Smoot's Father the future is bright

I was aware that Dunn was a lot lighter than Williams. I didn't realize that he was only 180. Jeez. Personally, I am a lot happier with the stouter version. I have been ranting for a lower-built back for a couple of years now and finally got my wish.