1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

How does Fox justify keeping Peete as starter

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by PantherPaul, Sep 1, 2003.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I think ALOT of it is team psychology, for alot of stuff.

1) Consistency. We'll have the same starter this year on opening day as we did last year.

2) The players believe in Rodney, and if you pull him now, after 4-0 preseason, after winning 4 of 5 last year, it seems awful risky for psychology. (I know it's risky for all the reasons that Peete sucks to keep him in, I'm talking psychology.)

3) Wait till Peete blows one. If this happens, pull him for Jake. If you pull him now, and Jake stinks, then what? Stick Peete back in? That fucks up a whole team. They would doubt the coach's decision making skills.

I'm for leaving in Peete as long as we get a W. If we don't, give it to Jake. Unless the loss has nothing to do with Peete's ineptitude...

2. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

What about this. Maybe Fox should coach and put the best person in there that can lead this team and not worry as much if the team is pissed. Coaches coach, and players play. I am all for listening to the players but if the team stumbles who catches the most heat

3. Trashman1962

Trashman1962 Full Access Member

I think that's exactly what Fox is doing.....putting the players on the field that he believes gives the Panthers the best chance to win on Sunday.

You could also say.....maybe Fox should coach and put the best person in there that can lead this team and not worry as much if the "fans" are pissed. I am impressed by Fox, he has his plan and his is the only one that counts. He is not being swayed by fan sentiment, media sentiment or likely player sentiment. He's simply being the Head Coach. If he was yielding to the players then Michael Bates and Wesley Walls would still be on the team. No, I think Fox is definitely an I'm in charge type coach.

4. PantherPaul

It just seems to me that with Peete in as QB other teams will crowd the line more as they know Peete can't throw the long ball effectively. Although I like the way Henning is throwing the ball more on earlier downs.

5. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

True, and that will show up in the team's performance. Then he can turn to Jake.

6. Trashman1962

Trashman1962 Full Access Member

I don't disagree with that at all. In fact, I would count myself as one of the fans that wishes Delhomme was starting, not Peete. I just think Fox is doing what "he" thinks is best and not listening to the fans, media or other players. I'm sure he gets lots of input from his staff, but he made the ultimate decision based on his beliefs it gives the Panthers the best shot at winning. I don't agree with it personally, but that's why I'm just a fan, and not a coach....:)

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Muhsin usually got a lot of targets from Peete. Elder QBs know that a guy like that will come up with a well thrown ball, open or not. Young guys are told not to make those throws.

>>(media guide doesn't list fumbles, and we know he had a few)

ten

and 14 picks, in 14 games. That's our "safe" QB.

8. PantherPaul

I don't have the numbers to back it up but I bet when Peete was in under center we ran the ball a whole lot more than pass. Conversly I bet it was a more even mixture when Weinke or Delhomme were in there. I am all for ball control but you have to at least make the other team think we will pass occassionally to keep them honest. Throw more often on 1st down to set up the occasional 2nd and short

9. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Actually when Weinke and Delhomme were in, we were throwing the shit out of the ball.

10. cathead

cathead Full Access Member

If I were Fox I would throw Peete and Moose out on their ass. I hate cliques especially when neither of the cliquettes have shown the ability to lead anywhere except to mediocrity. I think Fox is making a huge mistake in letting this develope.