1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

How can one lose their salvation?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by jbghostrat, Jun 27, 2006.

1. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

If you kill someone by accident? Of course you won't lose your salvation.

If you murder someone? Then you've got to ask, if you've really claimed Jesus as your Lord and comitted to following Him for the rest of your life, how could you murder someone?

2. hasbeen99

3. hasbeen99

That's not a bad analogy.

4. jbghostrat

jbghostrat Full Access Member

can you pick a different sin. i mean, everytime you sin, do you have to ask yourself, "have i really claimed Jesus as my Lord?" We all sin.

5. hasbeen99

Yes. That conviction -- even just asking the question -- is a sign that you have. That question is what motivates us to ask forgiveness and choose to live by Christ's example, rather than by our emotions and/or carnal desires.

6. jbghostrat

how about just your everyday average sins. say like overeating or like you see a hot chick and ya know you lust or like you tell a lie but it wasn't a bad lie it was one of those little "white lies". or say you worry, that's a sin cause you're not putting your faith in God, but you can't help yourself. How about these sins? are you always having to go around asking God to forgive you? isn't that like catholics? and what if you die before you get to ask forgiveness for one of these sins--do you spend eternity in hell?

7. hasbeen99

Yes, you can. With God's help.

That is exactly the point of the Christian life. It's what being a disciple of Christ means. It's a gradual process of change, from the inside out. You work with God and allow Him to work in you to first bring those things under control, and eventually get rid of them. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen if you have the will to stick with it.

Here's how I understand forgiveness in the Christian life to work. Christ has already paid the price for ALL of our sins, so as long as we trust in His sacrifice to pay for our rebellion, God's sense of justice is satisfied. However, sin still has the effect of damaging our relationship with God, just like our relationship with our parents is strained when we defy them. It doesn't mean we're not their kids anymore, but the relationship needs to be restored. That's what asking for forgiveness and promising never to "do that" again (whatever that was), does. It restores the relationship between you and God.

Now, if your relationship with God is strained when you die, I personally think you're gambling. Matthew, Hebrews, and Revelation all have terrifying warnings about people who claim to be Christians but don't put in the effort to develop a relationship with God, and allow Him to change their hearts and minds so that they reflect the love and character of Jesus.

As I type this, I do not want to give the impression that I'm any better than anyone else. I don't want anyone to think I'm living a life of total repentance, and that I never struggle with anything or do anything stupid or destructive. That's just not true. I don't put nearly the time and effort into my relationship with God that I should, or even used to, and it's been affecting me badly. My focus has been off, and my relationship with God is strained. But my faith is strong, and somehow I'll get back on track. I know He hasn't abandoned me, I just need to find my way back to Him.

Soon. :(

8. jbghostrat

As I type this, I do not want to give the impression that I'm any better than anyone else. I don't want anyone to think I'm living a life of total repentance, and that I never struggle with anything or do anything stupid or destructive. That's just not true. I don't put nearly the time and effort into my relationship with God that I should, or even used to, and it's been affecting me badly. My focus has been off, and my relationship with God is strained. But my faith is strong, and somehow I'll get back on track. I know He hasn't abandoned me, I just need to find my way back to Him.

like what do you do, seriously?

9. hasbeen99

Short of turning this forum into a confessional...

I haven't been as disciplined in my thought life as I need to be, allowing my mind to wander back to places it has no business going. I've also been ignoring God. My prayer life has been superficial at best. It's very much a chicken-and-the-egg situation. You ignore God, and your thought life tanks. You pursue a dark thought life, and your relationship with God tanks. It has a snowball effect, building on itself.

The good news is that if you can get it turned around, the snowball effect works in your favor. You keep your focus on God, and your thought life stays in the light. The guilt goes away, and it gets replaced with security and peace. :)

10. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

What's "thought" life? Is that like thinking of naked women? If so, I don't stand a chance. :)