1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Hartwig Released

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

2. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

Yep. This is an exerpt from Charles Chandler's article on the release:

Unlike their prior offseason cuts, the Panthers didn't save salary-cap room. The move actually cost the Panthers an extra $750,000 against their cap. Hartwig was to count $3.75 million if he was on the team, but now he'll count $4.5 million because of the prorated bonus on the three years left on his contract.

3. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I doubt they put two rookies on the right side. I think they are likely to start Vincent at RG and draft a rookie RT. They may move the rookie to LT next year but I bet he plays RT this year.

4. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Yeah, they must have wanted him gone so badly that they figured they's pay 750 to open another roster spot.

5. Purrsy

Purrsy Full Access Member

Wade, huh? Could give us a physical presence depth-wise. Could compete at G, and he's feisty as hell.

6. Purrsy

Purrsy Full Access Member

Yep. A few different sources have mentioned his "natural position" thing, and HUrney says its about doing the right thing for the player....I have a feeling that off the record, reporters were probably being told that Hartwig was being a little bitch about the position change.

Hell, last year on the team's website, in one of his interviews, he was being a pussy about Kalil coming in. Bottom line, hes been hurt, and hasnt played to his contract, so yeah, fuck him. We need a strong, cohesive unit, not a squeaky wheel out there crying all the time.

7. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I think I recall something about his groin being an ongoing concern, and I recall he was the one who mentioned it.

8. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

So far I haven't seen any indication that the OL (or the rest of the team for that matter) has been improved with all these cuts. They may have been clearing cap space but the signings they've made so far are basically castoffs that the other team couldn't have cared less about keeping. Cutting Hartwig may be be penny wise and pound foolish down the road unless they do a better job than they have in identifying talent in FA or drafting.

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    source?

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    yeah. We've got more vet experience than we did, and some of our young depth does have more experience now, but essentially we'll be starting one rookie, a vet out of position, a young player without significant starting experience, a mismash of veteran uselessness, and Gross, from left to right.

I don't like that. I'd be OK with a tackle/guard 1-2 draft, if it fixes it, but would rather ahve a vet guard in that equation.