1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Harold and Kumar 2

Discussion in 'TV & Movie Discussion' started by DJ_Tet, Apr 28, 2008.

1. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

I saw this on Saturday in the right mood if you know what I mean :D

I'll say that the first one is my favorite stoner comedy since Friday, a true classic in the style of Cheech and Chong. For the record I don't really like How High or Half Baked, neither are anywhere as funny as Friday or Harold and Kumar to me.

That said, I didn't really like the second one all that much. It was a decent movie with some funny moments, but as a whole it's forgettable to me. I wasn't really let down because I didn't think it would be that great, in that sense it's better than I thought it was going to be. I didn't dare hope for a grand slam like the first one.

I thought some of the absurd parts like them smoking a bong on the plane were handled better than I thought they would be. Glad to see Harold at least has some sense, the way he was flipping out was funny. I also loved that look at Harold in college, I wish he had had a speaking scene where he was in that outfit. There were some nice nods to the original, the best being the unicorn and NPH, but I also liked the 'thank you come again' and the scene with the bag of weed. The soundtrack was used VERY well in this movie, much like the original. Some of the best laughs were from the soundtrack. None of the problems of this movie really have to do with Harold or Kumar, they both still have great chemistry. NPH too comes back to a good role. Beverly DeAngelo even has a nice turn playing the classic madam ala Dolly Parton in Best Little Whorehouse.

The part that really bothered me was Rob Corddry, who I am a decent fan of. But his character was just so over the top and offensive that I found him annoying and lame. His character and all the racist gags really didn't work for me, at all. I listen to Howard Stern, one of my favorite comedies is Blazing Saddles, I'm not one to get offended. But the blatent, stupid stereotypes this character used just were, well, stupid. And perhaps that's what I should expect from H and K, but the first movie was rarely ever this stupid, and blatently offensive just for that purpose. I chuckled when he poured out the grape soda, but more due to Terry Tate's look on his face, but when he was shaking the pennies at the jews, it was stupid AND predictable, a no-no for comedy.

It's a shame when you consider the movie is really built around him and this stupid absurd plot to arrest H and K. The scene with GW Bush though, was actually the part I THOUGHT would be stupid and lame from the previews, but in turn nearly saved the movie. They handled that scene with intelligent humor, didn't always go for the easy joke, and it ultimately turned out to be the most like the first movie, along with the scene in the woods with the cyclops, obviously.

It's too bad, with a few tweaks this movie could have been really good. That said, in it's current state it's still WAY better than either of the other two Friday movies. So, it's got that going for it. Hopefully with the $12 mil budget and the $15 mil opening weekend, they can finish off the trilogy with a better movie. Not that they left it open for a sequel, but you can always hope. Roldie and Kumar have a good thing going, they should try again.

2. monetmelly

monetmelly Junior Member

i actually thought the sequal was a great continuation of the first.

3. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

that is an awful lot of words about Harold and fuckin' Kumar TWO:willy_nilly:

4. DJ_Tet

It really is. Sometimes I get inspired. I enjoyed Speed Racer a lot more yet hardly wrote a peep about it.

5. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

you must have been in the "right" mood when you wrote that too

6. DJ_Tet

I was at work, so naa. It's just how I write when I want to elaborate on a given topic.

7. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

You have to be in the "moment" to truly appreciate "White Castle". Haven't seen the second one yet because most of the reviews aren't very good.