1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Grade the fucking draft

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Black&Blue_, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

I have never seen Rivera look "normal" in a picture.

2. Black&Blue_

Black&Blue_ _

I think he might be mildly autistic.

3. Purrsy

Purrsy Full Access Member

4. Toll Booth Willie

Toll Booth Willie Welcome to Wusta!

We had that long discussion about WR because it's legitimately debateable - some think we need help there, some don't. However, I don't think anyone debates whether we need O-line help, because we just fucking do. I'm personally most disappointed with our offseason failure there.

5. Black&Blue_

Black&Blue_ _

Gettleman is very nonchalant about the O-line, apparently. Weird considering how much he values a D-line.

6. finleye

finleye como say what?

the offseason isn't over yet, there should be better free agent talent available (or at least the price will have come down for anyone still out there) by training camp. Plus, Brandon Albert could still be dealt, which is probably holding up any movement between Winston and the Dolphins.

so are the Giants, at least they have been in the recent past. They put just 3 top 60 draft picks into their Oline over the past 10 years, and just 10 overall during that period...besides Snee who was drafted in '03, the rest of their OLine-starts came from free agents like McKenzie, etc...though it does help in covering for a mediocre OLine when you have a QB you can trust with the ball on virtually any and every snap.

I'm also interested to see just how the veteran free agent market plays out over the next few months. There have already been hints from some agents that the owners are colluding to purge the high wage vets from their rosters. Will be interested to see if guys like Richard Seymour end up staying on with some team for another year or if he decides to hang 'em up.

ETA: wouldnt mind kicking the tires on Dallas Clark...Bucs supposedly wanted him for another year back in January, dont know if anything has changed...maybe we can weaken a division opponent and strengthen ourselves at the same time.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1509/Dallas-Clark

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  7. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

We did not draft this guy with our third pick to take "years" to develop.

Quit acting like you know him or have ever seen him play. There were other options at G available, they chose this one, deal with it.

8. CelticCat

Agreed, which is what makes Kiper reducing our draft grade because he didnt think RG was a need laughable.

Had we drafted a WR early to make these analysts happy half of you guys would have gone ballistic. I was one actually wanting Allen and then Swope but I understand why we didnt. It wasnt an immediate need.

We have enough late round WR's to develop as it is.

And others that can't seem to make sense of a 6th round RB want to bring Tebow in, unfuckingbelieveable.

Weve been whining for years about this team investing high draft picks in RB's and LB's. When we finally do the smart thing by investing in quality late rounders making it possible to cut those high earners in the future we still whine, unfuckingbelieveable.

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

Comments like yours in this thread are why you have the reputation you do. You're denying reality. Everyone agrees that Kugbila is a project. Everyone agrees that there were other guards available who were better prepared to play in 2013. These are not controversial statements requiring some brilliant insight. They're common sense, and denying them achieves ... what exactly? Maybe Kugbila will end up being a great guard sometime in the future, but it's perfectly valid to be frustrated that the Panthers didn't take someone more capable of playing right away given the crying need they have at both right guard and right tackle.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  10. CelticCat

You have no idea how prepared he is or isnt to play next year. Its based on pure speculation because you have never heard of him before. I understand the frustration with the unknown. But you cant say player A will be more ready than player B this late in the draft process. Its naive to think so. You're assuming if we drafted a "known" player that they would be automatic starters and thats not true, they are developmental also.
    If we wanted a sure starter we should have drafted one in rounds 1 or 2.
    No OL was drafted in round 2 after Watson.

Look at our draft history of late round OL.

Lee Ziemba
    Zack Williams
    Duke Robinson
    Bernadeau
    Schwartz
    Will Montgomery
    Joe Berger
    Piggy
    Pete Campion
    Louis Williams
    Jeno James

I think Jeno had the most starts with 4 outta that bunch. Most never played at all year 1.

Last edited: May 1, 2013