1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Godfrey, 67 pick

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

Does he play safety?

2. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

"Raw" = theme of 2008

3. PaulPaladin

PaulPaladin Full Access Member

Yes, he's played S in college.....this is our new S.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    yeah, CB. Mayock apparently called him a safety - I don't have that feed.

former safety, played CB as need. I don't see him being raw. I see a very instinctive guy.

Also, good player good value. I was concerned right off, because, you know, WTF, but they also needed DL.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  5. PaulPaladin

PaulPaladin Full Access Member

Godfrey

5-11 3/4, 207, 4.429 40

Strengths:
    Is tall, very well built and possesses outstanding top-end speed for his size. Shows good quickness and is sudden coming out of his breaks. He plants and drives well and shows closing burst coming forward. He has the long speed and size to keep up with most NFL wide receivers, so long as he gets a shove in at the line and turns on time. He competes hard and brings a lot of energy to a defensive secondary. He is tough and physical. Fills hard versus the run and will deliver some big hits. A fiery competitor. Plays the game hard but also has been mostly durable throughout his career (missed only one game in four seasons). Comes with some versatility, having played SS, FS, CB and several different roles on special teams while at Iowa. Has excellent experience on special teams and won Iowa's Special Teams Player of the Year award in 2005. Covers kicks very well and possesses the speed to excel in that area of the NFL game.

Weaknesses: Hips have some stiffness and loses too much in transition when turning and running vertically. He's not fluid enough to keep with quicker receivers on double moves if he doesn't get a shove in. Continues to improve his recognition skills and confidence but still can be a bit hesitant at times. He's not fluid enough to recover on certain occasions when he's slow to react. Ball skills are improving but still below average. Needs to do a better job with his hands in press coverage and when attempting to disengage from blocks. Also needs to take more consistent angle in pursuit and break down more consistently in space as a tackler.

Overall: In his first three seasons at Iowa (2004-'06), Godfrey appeared in 35 games (16 starts) and had 95 tackles (three for losses), one forced fumble, two interceptions and five pass breakups. He moved from safety to cornerback before the '06 season, and as a senior in 2007 he started all 12 games turned in 65 tackles (one for a loss), five interceptions and nine pass breakups. Godfrey is still a work in progress. He will never have the quick-twitch athleticism or fluid hips of a pure man-to-man cover corner. He also is still developing his recognition skills, which are vital to a defensive back playing in space. However, Godfrey's upside  thanks to an outstanding combination of size, straight-line speed and toughness  is hard to ignore. Eventually he should emerge as a No. 2 starter at cornerback  or simply a sub-package defensive back  in a zone-heavy scheme. In the meantime, he projects as an instant impact player on special teams. Godfrey should be an early Day 2 selection.

6. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

Yay! Another fucking CB!

7. Purrsy

Purrsy Full Access Member

Huh. I caan be ok with this.....but now its time to address DL...

please?

8. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

If they see him as a safety then it makes sense, otherwise WTF!

9. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Yep I am guessing Safety is in his future immediately then if Gamble or Lucas leaves slide there

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Mel's "best available"

great ball skills, good hitter, great range. Says he can play CB or S at a starting level.