1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Foster transitioned! (wow!)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

If we can change our minds and not pay him that $5 million then it is not a bad deal. Maybe Hurney is not a moron. If we pay Foster $5 million next season then we are crazy, especially with Spoon out there needing to be re-signed.

2. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

let go of the dream man, Spoon's gone.

3. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

yep, I guess we should have known this when T.Davis was drafted last year. Still need a SS as Minter is getting old and Davis is sliding up the field to LB

4. Clay

Clay Full Access Member

Keep McCree at SS and draft a FS. Keeps things cheap.

I dunno, this is all weird. But considering we can rescind the tag it's great - if the RB market goes completely nuts, the 5M could be a deal. If it doesn't, we can rescind the tag and either resign him or grab somebody else.

Gives us flexibility AND insurance. Not bad, actually...

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

Gen Scope:
    That's why I said this earlier in the thread: "If Foster and his agent are at all smart, they'll sign the transition tag as soon as the ink is dry and then continue to work on a long-term deal." Once the tender is signed, it can't be withdrawn. Hurney remains an idiot.

6. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

This was my presumption when I replied earlier - but then edited when I saw the nfl.com story.

It's total win-win. It gives us control, and doesn't cost a penny.

7. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

You sure about this? It contradicts the PFT story, and it's a pretty important point.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    no idea how safeties crept into the conversation, but the chances of us dropping Minter are about as slim as Walter Payton being the starting RB. And if we elected not to return McCree, a cheap veteran would probably battle Branch, and there's always the outside shot Davis plays there. We should draft a safety, since Branch is UFA next year and we'll need at least one player to give us 4 competent safeties, but the chances of that player being in the first couple rounds and/or starting are very slim.

anyway, on the transitiOwning, yeah, if I were Foster I'd sign it immediately. I guess there's still talk/hope of the team making waves with a different back instead or in addition to, but I don't believe they'd transition Foster without the intent of keeping him. To that end, it would take something spectacular to get a back in here to unseat him that'll be good enough to get us to rescind the Foster money.

FWIW, Foster can still be cut for the savings of the entire deal, so it's not like Foster signing that contract gives him all the leverage.

9. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

I don't know but it seems like if you could withdraw it anytime then it would be used a hell of alot more often.

10. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

This is what I thought.

I don't hate paying him that much once. It beats a fat signing bonus that we eat later.

I do hate that much cap space going to him if/when he's on IR. Betwenn jenks, morgan, and him - how much 2006 cap space is tied up in gimps?