1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Foster transitioned! (wow!)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Feb 23, 2006.

1. y2b

y2b King of QC

I think it gives Foster respect. He tore his knee up and busted up his shoulder, there's no reason to think he won't come back from the ankle injury and play at a high level.

He'll get a long-term deal.

Starting the season with Foster, Shelton, Goings...and maybe go sign a FA like Morris in Seattle or Taylor out of Baltimore to compete for the #2...sounds great to me.

2. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

I am really indifferent about this, which means I don't really give a fuck if he stays or goes. The important thing is that we get production out of the RB postion come Sept 2006.

3. Javy

Javy Member

I like to look at it like this, they give him one year to prove himself. If he gets injured we are done with him, and dont have to cut him with cap problems. If he plays well, we then sign him to a contract. We do pay a little now but we lose the worry of locking him up long term and hurting ourselves, or letting him walk and him hurting us on the field. Or you can just look at it as a strategic move, which isn´t bad either. Not saying I am in love with the move but it isn´t the worst thing in the world. What if we would of done this instead with Danny Boy and his contract. Pay him big that one year but after he again gets injured we just let him go, he lost his chance to prove himself. Instead we invested a lot of money in him and can´t let him walk.

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

Foster is not that good even when healthy. He's certainly not the type of RB we need, but we're going to pay him $5 million anyway in a market where there are a ton of available RBs. God damn I would like to punch Marty Hurney in the face. He is a moron.

5. y2b

y2b King of QC

I think at least one of you are...I'm really on the fence on this one

:thinking:

6. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

He's no Shaun Alexander.

7. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

just wanted to throw this out.(pft)

ALEXANDER WANTS MONSTER DEAL

The early scuttlebutt coming out of Indy is that running back Shaun Alexander is looking for a contract with $22 million in guaranteed money and a total value of $80 million.

Sorry, Shaun, but it aint' gonna happen.

It would be the biggest running back contract in league history, eclipsing the contract signed in 2005 by Chargers tailback LaDainian Tomlinson. L.T. received $20 million in guaranteed money as part of an eight-year, $60 million package.

The problem is that the market for free agent running backs -- especially those on the wrong side of age 25 -- doesn't support that kind of investment, even for a guy who was the league MVP and who broke the single-season touchdown record.

More than ever, running backs are regarded as fungible. Only a guy with truly rare skills, like a Barry Sanders or a Jim Brown-type talent, would be able to get the kind of deal that Alexander supposedly wants.

The Carolina Panthers might have caught wind of Alexander's financial expectations, since they unexpectedly applied the transition tag to running back DeShaun Foster on Thursday. Because the Panthers generally are expected to make a run at Alexander, having the right of first refusal as to Foster will give the Panthers some protection in the event that Alexander's price tag doesn't get a lot more reasonable.

And contrary to the wire report posted at NFL.com, Foster isn't automatically "guaranteed" $5.13 million for 2006. For transition players, the one-year tender only becomes guaranteed at the start of the regular season; until then, the team can remove the transition tag at any time, and instantly free up the cap room. Thus, if the Panthers are at some point close to striking a deal with Alexander, all they need to do is revoke the tag as to Foster, and they'll have an extra $5.13 million in 2006 cap dollars to work with.

Under the franchise and transition rules, the money only becomes guaranteed for franchise players who sign the tender. Also, and as the Chargers recently realized, a transition tender becomes guaranteed if (and only if) the transition tag is used on a guy who accepted the franchise tender in the prior season.

8. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Full Access Member

Interesting.

9. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

that changes this whole deal. A lot.

10. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

Fixed