1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Foster transitioned! (wow!)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

Collin. I explained my mistake regarding that and admitted to it right away. I read the CBA over lunch along with a couple of articles and assumed it was correct. As to what I do; I write and review contracts* for a living (among other tasks).

*Obviously NOT football contracts; I don't claim that at all.

2. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

You are looking to match the language of Section c(iii) which states:
    "Beginning in the 1999 League Year, if a player subject to a Franchise Player designation accepts the Required Tender, the resulting Player Contract shall be fully guaranteed if the player’s contract is terminated because of lack of comparative skill; as a result of an injury sustained in the performance of his services under his Player Contract; and/or due to a Club’s determination to create Room for Salary Cap purposes. For purposes of this paragraph only, any contract termination due to the failure of the player to establish or maintain his excellent physical condition will be subject to review of a neutral physician appointed by the parties under Article X (Injury Grievance), whose physical findings will be conclusive in any arbitration proceeding relating to the physical condition of the player at the time of the exam, providing such exam takes place within twenty (20) days of the contract termination."

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

Fair enough, good catch. I guess that means the Jets are royally screwed when it comes to Abraham, because teams will know that they have to trade him for something.

4. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

Foster's agent: RB loves Carolina

Staff writer Stan Olson steps in for Pat Yasinskas to give us some insights from the NFL Combine last week in Indianapolis:

Although the Carolina Panthers placed the transition tag on running back Deshaun Foster, his agent doesn't sound bitter.

"It's just one of those things you have to deal with when it happens," David Dunn said at the NFL combine last week. "DeShaun loves it in Carolina; he loves it.

"He adores the ownership. (Owner) Jerry Richardson's concern as he went through his surgery (for a broken ankle) and has gone through his recovery has been just inspirational. And I think they both realize they're both good people. But we'll see how it plays out."

Foster broke his right ankle in the Jan. 15 divisional playoff at Chicago.

Under the transition tag, Foster must be paid $5,153,000 this season - the average of last year's top 10 salaries for running backs. That's more than he made in his first four years combined. If another team makes him a better offer, Carolina has the right to match it within seven days. The move also leaves the door open to negotiate a long-term contract, but Foster, 26, is young and the team would like to be more certain of his durability before signing him to a lengthy contract.

The one-year tender will not be guaranteed until the beginning of the regular season.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/

5. Fan. Attic

Fan. Attic Upstairs Lurker

I can see that what you're saying jibes with the first sentence above, but what confuses me is the last part about having accepted the franchise tender in the prior season. Makes it sound like this year's transition tag-ee is only guaranteed the tender if he was last year's franchisee and didn't sit out. What am I missing?

6. HAVEPSL

HAVEPSL Full Access Member

OK, here’s the scoop on that last sentence. (I’m gonna type in brief phrases)
    It had to do with Chargers and Brees being franchised last year…Guaranteed.
    They gave some thought to giving him the transition tag for 2006.
    There was something in the CBA about if tagged for a 2nd year, then the terms & conditions must be the same as the previous year.
    Therefore it was brought up that the transition tag was also guaranteed.
    They thought about having it reviewed and somebody ruling on it.
    However they decided not to tag anyway.

7. Fan. Attic

Fan. Attic Upstairs Lurker

Thanks Have.