1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Foster transitioned! (wow!)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

but contracts aren't guarenteed, that's why players get bonus money up front which A) are guarenteed, and B) Foster doesn't get under a tendered contract.

Foster is free to negotiate between now and July 15th. with any club.

The Panthers have the right to match any contract he signs with another team.

after July 15th (and until after the 10th. week of the season) he can only negotiate a long term deal with us.

Marty is waiting for one of two things to happen, Foster gets an offer from another team between now and July 15th. at which point we'll have to decide whether to match it or not. or Foster doesn't get an offer, and Marty say's to his agent, "nobody offered your client a deal, here's what we'll offer you, we can cut him if he doesn't take it and he can try and get something better from all the teams who already weren't interested and have other wise already filled their RB needs.

we're also free to try and negotiate a deal with any other rb via free agency or look to the draft for an upgrade. at which point we could cut Foster.

the only draw back I see is we have $5.15m on hold against the cap until some decision is made.

2. blackcatfan

blackcatfan Full Access Member

July maybe?

Once he signs and accepts the offered 1 year deal at 5.1 mill (in this case), it is guaranteed. He will get that money. The team can't withdraw an offer after the contract is signed. The verbiage in the CBA is talking about withdrawing the offer. Nothing gives the team the authority to void a valid signed contract which is what you have if Foster signs. Signing it will guarantee him 5.1 million but it most likely would be renegotiated to convert it from salary to signing bonus spreading it out.

3. blackcatfan

I'm fairly sure Franchise and Transition are guaranteed.

4. HAVEPSL

HAVEPSL Full Access Member

That's what I'm thinking. WP is saying it's not guaranteed, and you are. I think the franchise and transition contracts are different from regular contracts in that they ARE guaranteed. That's the point I've been making...once accepted the talk of withdrawing until start of seasond just doesn't apply.

5. Wp28

find that for me in the CBA, because that's what it all hinges on. if it's guaranteed then Foster has the leverage, but I believe the guarenteed bonus money would be the incentive for a player to negotiate a long term deal.

6. blackcatfan

I have found articles that do say that Franchise player salary is guaranteed but Transistion are not.

7. HAVEPSL

HAVEPSL Full Access Member

This is about all I see in the CBA about payments (whatever it says?):

Section 14. Other Terms: For the purposes of this Article, the Required Tenders of a one year Player Contract for at least 120% of the Franchise Player’s or Transition Player’s Prior Year Salaries shall in addition to the 120% Salary also include all other terms of the player’s Prior Year contract, including any guarantees and any provisions providing for incentives or performance bonuses. In addition, a player who is designated as a Franchise Player or a Transition Player shall have the option of accepting a one year NFL Player Contract for 120% of the player’s Prior Year Salary in lieu of a Player Contract for the average of the five (or ten, as applicable) largest applicable Salaries for players at his position, if he so wishes, regardless of which Player Contract is for a greater amount.

8. Wp28

(d) During the period any Salary Cap is in effect, in addition to any rights a Club may presently have under the NFL Player Contract, any Player Contract may be terminated if, in the Club’s opinion, the player being terminated is anticipated to make less of a contribution to the Club’s ability to compete on the playing field than another player or players whom the Club intends to sign or attempt to sign, or another player or players who is or are already on the roster of such Club, and for whom the Club needs Room. This paragraph shall not affect any Club or Club Affiliate’s obligation to pay a player any guaranteed consideration.

9. blackcatfan

It says that about Franchise but nothing about Transition.

10. Wp28

I may very well be wrong about the transition not being guarenteed, but when this news first broke I searched for some sensible justisfication for Hurney to be doing this and the only thing I came up with is that it's not guarenteed and it gives us lots of leverage. I haven't read anything yet that changes my mind.