1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Foster transitioned! (wow!)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Feb 23, 2006.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I think that's the cheapest we can hope for. Which makes me a bit concerned.

Here's hoping he has 2000 total yards.

2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I think that's the cheapest we can hope for. Which makes me a bit concerned.

Here's hoping he has 2000 total yards.

3. Piper

Piper phishin member

To a certian extent, you could say that about our linebacking as a whole. I don't remember going wow very much about any of our backers. But we were one of the best run defenses and better defenses as a whole last year, without Jenks.

We did that by playing good gas control defense and not as many missing tackles as a lot of teams these days do. That's basically Short. Morgan and WW are faster, and we funnell to them. But I didn't feel like Short was a weakness, at least vs the run.

I agree he's a liability vs the pass in every way. He's big and slow. Hell, he's a tree. And I got no problem with upgrading. We were better with Fields. But I'm not unhappy with Short, he filled his role.

4. y2b

y2b King of QC

that would be a bargain...his best years are in front of him

5. cathead

cathead Full Access Member

I just cannot see the transition $5 mil effecting the contract at all. If before the season starts, we cannot reach a reasonable contract with Foster we cut him. This transition tag allows that. The leverage the team kepts depends on the quality of RB we add in off season. That will determine how much we pay Foster and that's the reason we tagged him to start with.

6. GAPantherfan

GAPantherfan Junior Member

I dont know why

everyone thinks the transitional tag is the same thing as a franchise tag - all we have done here is essentially put Foster on layaway - we can revoke the tag at anytime before the start of the season, and we dont have to match any offers until that point. Thus he is guaranteed nothing. This is a safety net and Hurney is wise to do this in case we cant deal with a bigger name RB (if that is his plan)
    Some of the people posting act as if Foster has already been given the 5.1 mil and that is far, far from the truth. This is a wise move that may allow a restructuring of the troublesome cap for the Cats in 06, especially if Davis does what he is supposed to do and retires.

7. HAVEPSL

HAVEPSL Full Access Member

Don't have to match until start of season? You have to match within 7 days. And it becomes a $5.1 mill hit on the cap next week, so if anything it limits signing the rest of our roster.

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

Agreed. GAPantherfan, you probably should read the rest of the thread.

9. HAVEPSL

HAVEPSL Full Access Member

I have read over the CBA several times regarding the franschise and transition tags, and am just not seeing some of the things PFT said (and some posters). I ask other to read it. I'll summarize some of the transition things.

Required Tender for Transition Players:

(a) Any Club that designates a Transition Player shall be deemed on the first day of the League Year following the expiration of the player’s last contract to have automatically tendered the player a one year NFL Player Contract for the average of the ten largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position at which he played the most games during the prior League Year, or 120% of his Prior Year Salary, whichever is greater. The tender may be withdrawn at any time, but if such tender is withdrawn, the player immediately becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent and thereafter is completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period.

Right of First Refusal for Transition Players: Any player designated as a Transition Player shall, at the expiration of his prior year Player Contract, be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club. When the Transition Player negotiates such an offer with a New Club, which the player desires to accept, he shall give to the Prior Club a completed Offer Sheet, signed by the player and the New Club, which shall contain the Principal Terms (as defined in Article XIX (Veteran Free Agency)) of the New Club’s offer. The Prior Club, within seven days from the date it receives the Offer Sheet, may exercise or not exercise its Right of First Refusal, which shall have the legal consequences set forth in Sections 3(b) (h), 4 and 6 of Article XIX (Veteran Free Agency) above, except that no Draft Choice Compensation shall be made with respect to such player, and, for the purposes of those provisions, the player and each Club shall otherwise have the same rights and obligations as for a Restricted Free Agent set forth in those provisions, notwithstanding the number of his Accrued Seasons

(b) For the 1993 (and after) League Year, any Club that designated a Transition Player who has not signed a Player Contract by 4:00 p.m. New York time on June 14, and which has not withdrawn its required tender, shall tender such player a one year NFL Player Contract for (i) the average of the ten largest Salaries in Player Contracts signed for the 1993 League Year as of May 6, 1993 for players at the position at which he played the most games during the prior League Year, or (ii) the amount of the required tender pursuant to subsection (a) above, whichever is greater. This tender may be withdrawn at any time, but if such tender is withdrawn, the player immediately becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent and thereafter is completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any such player, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period.

Signing Period for Transition Players:
    (a) In the event that a player who is designated and tendered as a Transition Player has not signed a Player Contract with a Club by July 15 in the League Year following the expiration of his last Player Contract, the Prior Club shall be the only Club with which the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract during the period from such date until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m. New York time.

10. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

it goes on the books next week, but also comes off the books in it's entirity if we cut him before the start of the season.

Hurney is just letting a solid market set itself before having to make a decision.