1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Foster transitioned! (wow!)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Feb 23, 2006.

1. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

VERY NICE REFERENCE!

2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

:umno:

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

The whole point is that transitioning him absolutely rules out the possibility of him agreeing to that kind of contract. If he can get $5 million for one year, why in the blue hell would he agree to anything reasonable (from our perspective) over the long-term?

Piper:
    The best thing we can say about Short is that he doesn't screw up much, and that's certainly worth something. The problem is that he almost never does anything worth noticing either. He doesn't cover well, doesn't make many tackles, doesn't eat up blocks well, and basically disappears on the field. When is the last time anyone even realized that Short was a starter? Somehow I actually forgot.

4. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Because the first years of contracts - with bonus checks - are the biggest. I don't see this as ruining the chance at a good contract. It keeps us from having to scrawl a huge check right out of the gates.

If an RB gets $7million first year pay on a 5 year deal, year 2 might be $1 million total. We could still get the same type of deal with Foster, depending on what offers he gets. Offering him an $18 million, 5 year contract after 7/27 with $6.5 million in first year money would be better than a one year, $5 million deal. For both parties.

I'm still not certain that's what I want to do at RB - but I think that from a negotiating standpoint, we have not ruled out a contract that averages, and costs on the cap, less than $4 million per year.

Hey - has it been discussed why we didn't do this tranny tag ( lol tranny tag ) on Spoon?

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

You're going to get confusing when you word it that way. It's not $7 million in first year pay because it doesn't count that against the first year, but it is "up front" money. And yeah, the signing bonus will be paid up front and therefore the player will get more right away than he will in subsequent years unless the contract is structured with roster bonuses, which is something we've used lately.
    True, but I sure as hell don't want to give Foster $18 million with a $5+ million signing bonus. He isn't even close to worth that, but it will take at least that much at this point.

6. PaulPaladin

PaulPaladin Full Access Member

From Darrin Gant

"A close approximation of his worth could be the five-year, $27.5 million deal Oakland gave LaMont Jordan last year, which included a $7 million signing bonus. Word around the league is that Foster was seeking something in that ballpark, with a signing bonus around $8 million."

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

:banginghe

8. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

diggity damn! If true, that is insane. I bet I could be worth a million dollars.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  9. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

Maybe Foster's agent has pictures of Jerry Richardson making out with Clay Aiken, while jerking off Jeff Gordon and Marty Hurney.

10. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

This would be nuts, IMHMFO.