1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Feet pain

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine Forum' started by PantherPaul, Jan 2, 2007.

1. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Maybe it's due to me carrying a few extra lbs but even when I wake up and first put my feet on the floor my fucking feet hurt. The heel feels like I have a pin stuck in it. I have high arches and suspect that the shoes I wear (sneakers or Rockports) don't have enough arch support. With my shit insurance I am sure I am looking at a trip to the podiatrist at a huge cost. Anyone have problems with their feet?

2. law1ng2b2

law1ng2b2 Full Access Member

Sounds like Plantar Fasciitis to me. both feet? How much do you run/walk each day? Does the pain subside at all during the day?

Arch support would probably help. Also, as with other over-use type injuries, rest, ice, and stretching.

3. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

I googled this and you were right on.
    The pain from plantar fasciitis is described as being dull aching or sharp and can usually be reproduced by flexing the toes upwards (dorsiflexion) and tensing the fascia. Plantar fasciitis tends to worsen after standing or exercising for prolonged periods or after getting out of bed in the morning. Morning heel pain from plantar fasciitis is one of the most common symptoms and occurs because the fascia becomes tense after a protracted rest. As the person walks, the fascia �warms up� and lengthens slightly, reducing the tension on the ligament and lessening pain.
    It gets better (less painful) after a few steps. Generally not even noticeable 10 steps walked.

4. law1ng2b2

The pain after you step out of bed was really the kicker for me. You might want to sonsider stretching and massaging your arches before getting out of bed. Keep in mind that the pain can also be in the arch area too.

There is a good story about Plantar Fasciitis in this month's Runner's World along with a couple of exercises aimed at rehab.

I wouldn't waste a trip to the podiatrist just yet. But that is just me. Like i said, rest, ice, and stretching. My doc suggested Superfeet inserts for my running shoes for support...but my insurance was pretty good at the time, so i was able to get custom made orthotics made for a $10 co-pay.

Good luck. I had this shit for almost two years before it finally went away. Needed a cortisone shot to get me through the Chicago Marathon.

5. WYDD

WYDD Everybody dance now.

i've had it plantar faciatis probably since highschool. it's pretty bad now. i tore one facia and i really can't run around on the beach anymore because i don't have on shoes. it really does suck. i have the stretching boot, but i can't sleep in it because it puts my foot to sleep. i've just gotten to the point that i play through the pain with the inserts in. But running around on the beach is over. And that sucks.

I remember when i went to the doctor him saying something about having to cut some people's facia's because they were so tight. i'm wondering if that's what i might have to do with the foot that hasn't already lost it. My "bad" foot doesn't hurt anymore, but i can't wear an ankle brace on it anymore because of the discomfort.

Good luck.

6. plutosgirl

plutosgirl It's a Liopleurodon!!!

I had plantar fasciaitis years ago. After I started wearing clogs, I never had it again. It was painful.... I say if you haven't started doing anything different, try some different shoes. One of the docs I worked with gave me his 'booty' to wear for a while as well. I'm not sure that or the changing of the shoes helped, but it makes more sense it was the shoes as I've not had that problem again.

7. Trace

Trace Full Access Member

Thought that was in your heels.

8. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

Somebody gave me some DMSO to use for this same condition. Worked very well.

9. law1ng2b2

I am not sure what you mean by this. But the pain can range from your heel into the middle of your arch. The facia is a tough non flexible fiber and when it is over-used and stretched, it creates small tears, inflamation, and of course, pain. In some cases, the fascia can actually start to tear away from the bone.

Arch supports help stablize the fascia and limit the 'stretching'.

And lastly, as with WYDD, this condition can become quite chronic. It is best to try to treat it early before the it worsens and then you are dealing with for an extended period of time.

10. americanpsycho

americanpsycho Full Access Member

:newsmile63: i've definitely felt that pain before too, but it has not been severe in my case !