1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Fairly/Newton observations.

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by klgeorge13, Jan 10, 2011.

1. klgeorge13

klgeorge13 Molon Labe

Was very interested to see this game tonight because of the obvious implcations for the Panthers draft. What Ive seen so far.

Newton is not handling pressure very well. He does not seem as fast as I thought he was runs more like a TE than a RB. Lacks touch on his deep passes, not getting enough air under his passes. Seems to have no more than 2 reads per play before he tucks and runs,

Fairley reminds me alot of K Jenkins. Quick off the snap, very penetrating rusher, disruptive. If he doesnt beat his man with inital move, will continue to push, but dont see him getting away from the blocker with a second move. Able to make quick reads to diagnose plays, not falling for the ball fake. Nasty attitude, which I like, but needs to know when to reign it in, will get alot of personal foul penalties. Needs to be paired with a space eating DT, will get burnt by a draw because he can be led out of position.

I like Fairly if we stay at #1, but at this point its a toss up between him and Green to me. Newton seems to be a product of a great O-line that has 4 seniors and 1 junior, allowing him large running, and throwing lanes. Conclusion, I hope we trade down.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    yeah, Fairley seems to be that guy, you're buying in at the very least to get a big man with the quick first step. Hard to get. He has his leverage down which KJ didn't initially.

Newton looks like a mess. Lots of jump passes, or at least mostly without his feet stopped. He makes things happen, sure.

3. klgeorge13

klgeorge13 Molon Labe

First full game look Ive had at both of these guys, so Im only going by what Ive seen in this game, but last impressions are lasting impressions. Newton is not #1 pick worthy, and not even the best Qb in the draft. Obviously QB is the biggest need for this team, but there is not one QB that deserves to go #1, or in the top 10 for that matter.

4. The Special One

The Special One BALL HARD UNIVERSITY

I'll be interesting to see if the "experts" consider him as good as Suh and McCoy.

5. CarPanthers20

CarPanthers20 The Other Godfrey

Fairley just knows how to play football. Very instinctive.

6. Parker

Parker Full Access Member

I wouldn't be unhappy with either. However, I think Fairley would be an instant contributor whereas Green would need a lot of help. If our QB/OL isn't addressed, there is no reason to draft another WR. Fairley could fill an huge need immediately.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Honestly it isnt easy to eval Fairley, given that the spread keys on theDT so much. His ability to get to the backfield quickly is rare and that translates but isn't indicative of pro play. I'd still take him but he won't and shouldn't be left in space like that...can he take on double teams? If so take him.

8. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

I still want to trade down but as of today, if we can't, yeah take him. He may be BPA and fill a big need at the same time.

9. bobcat91

bobcat91 Junior Member

I said in another thread

Cam is not a championship QB. His team won the JC National Championship with a punt return for a TD with less than 10 seconds left. Fairley is dirty. No other way to say it, but he is also very talented. He fits a need since Luck is not in the draft.

10. Dbag21

Dbag21 Full Access Member

I don't give a shit if Fairley is dirty, as far as I am concerned mean and nasty are part of the job for a DT