1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Draft Grades

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Section B, May 11, 2014.

1. Section B

Section B Full Access Member

CBS Sports gives us a "D"
    Sports Illustrated gives us an "A -"

So much for the opinions of the talking heads

2. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

I guess D is for the failure to draft a T?

I don't know what I'd give it. I like some of our picks, didn't see T value at 28, still not real happy with the draft. Especially day 3. Especially.

3. Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen Fire Ron Rivera's Dumbass

It's a hard D as in Gettleman grabbed his dick and yanked on it a couple of time to get it hard so he could show it too us one more time before training camp started.

You like what you see motherfuckers? If not well then fuck you.

[​IMG]

4. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

I doubt the dude can even reach his dick.

That Harper hiring bastard...

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

The best and most entertaining way to judge the draft is to go to the rounds and say who you would have picked instead:

#28) Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA
    Obviously I would have liked Bridgewater, but that wasn't realistic. I liked Hageman as well (F U Atlanta), but Su'a-Filo would be the best combination of talent and need. Benjamin is something of a lottery ticket, so he could end up having a lot more impact than a quality guard or he could be a total waste. That causes me to give the Benjamin pick a B-.

#60) Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
    I'm not crazy about Moses. He is a waist bender and has questionable conditioning, so it's very possible he could bust. But when he falls into your lap at the bottom of the second round you have to take that chance. He does a good job of extending his arms and punching, so if he can be taught to sit a little lower in his stance then you could be talking about someone worthy of starting at left tackle. I do like Ealy and believe he will be a better pro than Moses, but the only way that becomes really significant for the Panthers is if one of Hardy or CJ leaves. For that reason, I give the Ealy pick a D.

#92) Bruce Ellington, WR, USC
    Ellington is no sure thing. He body catches too much instead of consistently snatching the pass with his hands, and his size is a limitation. What I like is that he's aggressive on the field and goes after the ball, then looks to create yards after the catch instead of going down. He's crazy athletic. While he would be a zero in the red zone in contrast to Benjamin's considerable value there, Ellington would have been a competent addition at wide receiver since none of the bigger names fell. Moncrief would have been nice. F U Colts. Trai Turner is probably the pick I feel best about, though, as I want at least one lineman you can run behind in short yardage, so I'll give that a B+.

#128) Vinnie Sunseri, S, Alabama
    One pick from Desir, how frustrating. Since this was the slowest the Panthers picked in the draft it seems obvious they wanted Desir and then had to come up with a new name thanks to the Browns. As a Carolina fan I find Tre Boston to be a rah-rah player who is better for the locker room than the playing field. His specialty is making tackles after giving up completions, although I will say that he has some value in zone coverage. Maybe he can be a competent safety. I'm much more confident that Sunseri will be a competent safety. While I didn't have him mocked before the fifth or sixth round, I said during chat that the way things were going I expected we'd have to take him at 128 or not get him at all. Exum would have been a better choice than Boston as well. I give this pick a D.

#148) Antone Exum, CB/S, Virginia Tech
    I don't know anything about Bene Benwikere. What I've seen actually looks pretty promising and I think he could end up starting games for the Panthers this season, so I won't pan that choice, but I am a believer in Exum. On that basis I give this pick a B-.

#204) Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
    Picking Tyler Gaffney pisses me off because while it's a longshot to find a real contributor in the sixth round, taking Gaffney basically says "I don't give a fuck, I just want this draft over so I can concentrate on my son's graduation." Maybe Gaffney is better suited to play passing downs than Stewart or Williams, but not by much. Maybe Stewart or Williams gets cut after 2015, but even if so it's hard to envision Gaffney competently replacing one of them. Gaffney at absolute best is a Nick Goings. I would much rather have and develop Boyd as Cam Newton's long-term backup. Let's be honest, it's lucky that Newton hasn't gotten hurt given how many times he's tackled. Anderson is almost to the end of his career and it would be useful to have a backup with the combination of mobility and arm who can do a poor man's version of Cam should that become necessary. I give this pick an F.

Overall: C-
    If you weight them by rounds then it comes out to a grade of 72.96. That feels spot on to me, with the qualifier that Benjamin could swing this to a B- or F based on how he turns out.

6. Shocker

Shocker Full Access Member

Like our draft better than that shit. They obviously wanted Desir as the moved up right after that to get CB. Had Desir been picked instead of Boston this draft would look very good IMO.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

No.

8. stratocatter

You have to get Cam a WR if there is no OT. I agree with the big target. Not sure I feel good about the player, drops are concerning. But Proehl was all over him and I trust Ricky Proehl when it comes to NFL WR. Meh, wanted Watkins badly. Wanted a top OT even more. Was not getting either, expected to feel disappointed.

Even though I hated being in a situation where we almost HAD to do it because of the value, I like the Ealy pick. The writing on the wall said we will not be spending 25-30 million on two DEs, may as well take an opportunity to keep the quality up. Otherwise Gettleman will be trotting out converted centers or something.

I can't argue with OL, but I'd like to not spend our 3rd pick two years in a row on one starting G slot. Would rather have had a T, but if we get a legit longtime starter, for what has been a weak position for us for a while... won't complain.

Not in favor of the tradeup, I just don't feel like that guy is going to help us.

Take a RB, since you probably whiffed last year, but do it in the 7th. Bet he'd have been there.

Basically this draft was like Christmas if you're really fucking poor. Socks and underwear, while your friends get cool shit.

9. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

Which is what we'll be doing at OT soon.

10. stratocatter

Well, it is where I got the notion.