1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

draft exercise version 1

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

1. Peterson

2. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

2. Greg Jones. Similar to TD, replacement for him that can play now. Hopefully stays healthy.

3. rake

rake Need one of these

I'd put Julio Jones right up there as far as best player.

might end up being the most (only?) "dominant" player from this class . . . best bet for it anyway IMO

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

1. Cameron Newton: fuck yo blanket

65. Ras-I Dowling (Physical, good on the press, fits our new scheme)

97. Marcus Gilbert (large, strong run blocker. potential fit at RG)

98. Drake Nevis (nice fit at DT, good value at 98. Tommie Harris-type)

132. Da'rel Scott (extremely quick, nice size, DW will be playing for Fox)

166. Zach Hurd (OG from UConn. Exceptional run blocker for strong rushing team)

5. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

1. Marcel Dareus
    65. Colin Kaepernick (to good to pass up here)
    97. Johnny Patrick CB Louisville
    98. Da'Norris Searcy SS UNC
    132. John Moffit C/G Wisc
    166. Barksdale OT LSU

6. Toll Booth Willie

Toll Booth Willie Welcome to Wusta!

Does anyone really believe that Kaepernick will last to the third round? There's talk of him being as high as the third QB taken.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

7. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Screw it.

1. Peterson CB
    65. DJ Williams TE
    97. Drake Nevis DT
    98. Casey Mathews LB
    132. Terrance Tolliver WR
    166. Stanzi (dont see him listed) or Devlin QB
    203. Ian Williams DT
    243. Cecil Shorts III WR/returner

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    no, not really, but there's plenty of stuff we don't know, namely hindsight. You knever really know. But, this is more interesting than saying something like "let's take Green because I think Marvin Austin will be there in the 5th." There's a plausible reason to suggest player X wasn't taken at 97, so you can take him.

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

1. Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama - Not the consistent impact you'd generally like to see from a top 5 DT, but I've said all along that I feel much more comfortable with him than Fairley. The QBs are simply not a consideration for me, as I would much rather bring in a veteran, and I believe that there is still a chance for Clausen to develop if he isn't thrown into the fire. How many rookie QBs on bad teams didn't look terrible that first season? It's way too soon to write him off after a season with no pass protection and no good receivers (even SSmith played like shit). Dareus is strong and agile enough to play either tackle spot, but most importantly, he plays with discipline and will work within the system. I may hate Nick Saban, but he trains his guys to practice and play the right way.

65. Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia - I'm not on board with the Kaepernick love simply because we already have a project QB, and without a second round pick I would rather address actual needs. Dowling may eventually move to strong safety because he's not the most fluid corner, but his size and straight-line speed make him a useful guy to have since he can match up against bigger receivers. I also like the fact that he doesn't make a lot of mental mistakes. He's not flashy, but I'm not looking for a lot of flash at corner. Marcus Cannon was a close second, as he could give us some nice athleticism at guard while being capable of backing up at right tackle. In fact, I might change this to Cannon later on.

97. Drake Nevis, DT, LSU - I don't understand this ranking at all, as I thought Nevis was an early second and potentially even late first round selection. He was a defensive leader for the Tigers, very sound in his technique, and consistently disruptive against top competition. The knock on him is his small size for the position, but I love the way he uses his hands to control leverage and therefore play bigger than he is. If we could somehow get him in the third round, I'd do backflips. Dareus alone doesn't make our defensive line superior, so I have no problems spending two of the top three picks on DTs if they're actually worth those spots.

98. Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville - Patrick really isn't my type of corner, as he prefers to play off of his receiver and jump routes, which does lead to some interceptions but even more big plays. I chose him here partly out of necessity, since we need some new bodies in the secondary, but also because he fits a particular role. Patrick would be ideally suited to serve as the nickel corner where he can just line up over that slot receiver and shadow him all over the field. From what I've seen, Johnny is also a pretty good blitzer from that spot, giving him some added value. I'd rather not play him outside, but #98 isn't a bad spot for your fifth DB.

132. Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh - Since I didn't take Cannon earlier, I'll take Rackley here. He's a little more raw than Cannon, but has similar athleticism and versatility. Right guard has been a black hole the last few seasons, but Rackley can hopefully fulfill on the promise Duke Robinson never did (I liked Robinson out of OU, so *shrug*).

166. Dwayne Harris, WR, ECU - Because fuck it. He's not a great route runner and he doesn't have elite speed, but I like him. He's a playmaker who can gain yards after the catch, and I'd love to put a guy like that in the slot with an OC who isn't terminally boring.

203. Anthony Sherman, FB, UConn - We probably don't have room on the roster for two conventional fullbacks, but Fiammetta wasn't terribly impressive and it's not inconceivable that Sherman could beat him out. He's not going to be a weapon offensively, but Sherman is a very sound blocker.

243. Johnny White, RB, UNC - You can never have too many Tar Heels, but White was legitimately impressive during his senior season as a versatile back who can be a weapon in the passing game, but also has the ability to run between the tackles. I'm assuming that DeAngelo is gone, and I think White could be a factor in the battle for the third spot.[SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

10. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

No