1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Dinosours

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by CelticCat, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Odin

Odin Full Access Member

"Due to pressure from the religious right, they are now to be referred to as Jesus Horses."
    ----Jimmy Fallon

2. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

A definite possibility, in the sense that Job may have seen fossils and God was referring to the extinct animals who left them.

I'm curious -- have you ever seen or heard about a turtle with even one tooth? I haven't.

I haven't. Got a source for that? I'm genuinely curious.

3. hasbeen99

I can't say unequivocally that cookies weren't made by elves in trees thousands or even millions of years ago, no. :)

I haven't seen any evidence to completely debunk such a premise. Have you? :imagestor

4. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

my point was that people would assume there are teeth if there's a head and a mouth. if somebody told somebody about a giant creature they saw and roughly described it, it wouldn't take long for the details to change as people retold the story and tried to wrap their head around what it was exactly.

and if you were going to describe something, how about some real measurements -- "for yea, it was as tall as a man and thrice a man's weight." or maybe, "four legs it has and claws as sharp as swords"

http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bz050/HomePage.bigturtle.html

apparently from scientific american from the late 1800's.

5. hasbeen99

The NIV, NASB, NLT, and NKJV all have "wild ox" in place of "unicorn". I looked in my Hebrew to English dictionary, and the same definition of "wild ox(en)" is there.

Another little faux pas by the authors of the KJV...

6. hasbeen99

Actually, animals "breathing fire" is not as far fetched as it sounds. There is an insect today called the "bombardier beetle" that generates, heats, and forcefully expels multiple chemicals simultaneously from its body. With the right combination of chemicals, spontaneous combustion could possibly occur.

7. hasbeen99

But in a non-mythical, biological perspective, what is a dragon? Is it not a very large reptile?

If there is, I don't remember seeing it. That being said, there were flying dinosaurs, too. The pteranodon comes to mind.

8. hasbeen99

Where is that?

9. hasbeen99

If the perspective of the text was from a man, I would agree. But seeing as how it's supposedly God speaking to Job, I don't know that your supposition fits.

Doesn't seem to me like it was relevant to the message God was trying to convey to Job. Yes, I know that's a convenient position to take, but a valid one, I think. Intent is very important in exposition of Biblical text.

Thanks for the link! HOLY COW!

Attached Files:

10. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Its the very last line, Job 41.

If were talking about say, a Komodo dragon yeah, sure, and that spits a deadly acid. One bite and you're a gonner. But when were talking about flames and smoke from the nostrils were talking about dragon, the myth the legend. And i doubt the Lord would help fabricate a myth. If that is indeed what he's refering too.

Pteradactyl too, but that's not the point. The point is were talking about a mythical beast that the Lord is supposed to be endorsing.

While present day turtle dont have teeth but beaks prehistoric turtles did have teeth. Funnily enough, its one of those blasened images i have as a child opening my first dinosaur book.

Dont tell Grandma that, she'll have you ex-comunicated, hung and quartered for such blasphemy.