1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

"developing young talent"

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

looking back on the failures of draft pics over the Fox era, I'm wondering, we're they just bad at drafting or did they truly fail to "develop young talent?"

2. reezyd

reezyd The Franchise

Da jury izn't out on Armanti yet. Hez de QB of de fuchure.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I don't know that I can ID that many players of the last four years that have been expected to be great that let us down. The end relied too hard on players - positions really - that are slow to develop. Trading for some of them does hurt.

Compared to that same span, 03-07, we've done better. Both drafting and developing.

4. Wp28

2nd rounders have been pure garbage

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I get the want to judge Brown and Clausen too early. They're talented and they made sense. Kalil and Martin are good. They're developed.

6. Wp28

Jarrett, Foster, Fasani, K. Johnson, Heinrich, Campion, Nelson, Seidman, Colbert, Carter, Shelton, Mathis, Ellison, Lafors, Berger.....

7. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

Historically we have had some misses in the 2nd round. Shelton and Jarrett come to mind. Shelton had no business beig drafted there, while Jarrett did and unfortunately for whatever reason did not develop. Kalil is a probowler. I liked the Martin pick and he's a starter. He seems to have fewer mental lapses than Godfrey. Hes unspectacular but solid.

Going further you can look at certain third rounders that failed to develop. Attiyah Ellison, Corvey Irvin, Rashard Butler just off the top of my head. Too early to judge on Armanti I suppose but he was unable to contribute at all so it's not promising. Lafell came on. Two picks which were praised at the time Godfrey and Connor. Godfrey is solid but makes a lot of mistakes in coverage his ints were nice but seemed more lucky than anything else. But he is a starter. Connor is a solid back up and has had some injuries. James Anderson is someone we all thought was a waste of a pick but finally showed up this year.

So yeah its a cop out but it's a combo of both poor drafting and development. The draft is pretty much a gamble. Not every pick is going to be a great plAyer and contribute. Go look at some of the Patriots recent drafts. It's littered with scrubs.

We got the same dude picking the players so I imagine we shouldn't expect too much of a difference but I think what has changed is the teams willingness to play the younger guys through their growing pains which is something Fox never liked.

8. King o' Farts

King o' Farts Full Access Member

And you're the idiot of the present.

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

if the argument was that we didn't develop any offensive youth under Henning, agreed. I ve made that argument before. Only really got Gross, Wharton out of Henning draft. dW was not good until after he left.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011