1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Delhomme

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Sep 10, 2003.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    If you have anything that states definitively that they swapped out playbooks, then I'll gladly say I'm wrong.

2. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

"The West Coast philosophy includes ways to practice, develop players, plan a game and scheme the offense. On the field, the West Coast offense operates as a short-passing game designed to control the clock and move the ball with high-percentage, precision passes (which Walsh referred to as "the extended handoff")."

3. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

Source
    The 14-year veteran, in his second stint with the Vikings, also has definite ideas about how to run the offense. And they aren't always the same as Tice's. This was evident after the Monday night victory in Green Bay, when Tice made a not-so-thinly veiled reference about how the offense had been run.

"We need to make sure that as players, coaches and the quarterback, we are not trying to reinvent the wheel and bring some things in from the outside that aren't us," he said. "To try to all of a sudden become a West Coast offense, I think doesn't suit us. I have never liked it. I am quite frankly not a big proponent of the short passing game. If you want to get 3 yards, then hand it off."

But Johnson, 37, a teammate of Tice when the coach was a tight end with the Vikings in the early '90s, was having none of it.

"East Coast, West Coast, Gulf Coast," he said. "Plays and systems and schemes are all very similar. We are still running plays from (former NFL coach and vertical-passing guru) Don Coryell. The whole league is. That doesn't matter; the plays were there. Sometimes you just need a little extra something special to happen."

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

yeah, I saw that article, too. MN's never been a 3-step team, no. And the WCO's not an exclusively 3 step offense. You can run it any way you want it, which is why it's crazy to say that a WCO playbook run outside the 1980 principles isn't a WCO system. But based on Tice's own criticism of 3-step, there's ample room to go either way.

matter of fact - edit. If he wants "Collin is right", he can have it. He doesn't have to go find anything about changed playbooks, because in his own criteria, he is right. Tice's gripe of the WCO, which largely comes in relation to the awful offense he fielded after Leinart and before Brad Johnson, makes a decent case. The awesome part is that not only did Johnson make him go back to the core plays (which were, of course, there since they're a freaking WCO team), but they worked better.

All in the context of "hey, who'd rather have Brad Johnson cheap than Delhomme at an exaggerated amount?"

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  5. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Fuckin' A he is. Big plays in Big games.

Fuck yeah.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

7. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

It amazed me how much better Jake looks when he can step into his throws. I'd forgotten how strong his arm really is. :eek:

8. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

"I might have seen dumber throws than Eli Manning's against-the-grain, across-the-field wobbler in the third quarter against Carolina in my 21 years covering the NFL, but I can't remember one right now." - Peter King

9. y2b

y2b King of QC

Delhomme Postseason

I found this list on nfl.com, so I looked up Delhomme's, since he's under the 150 attempts, he didn't make the list...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  10. PantherMills

PantherMills Under the Radar

The Giants game gave him a 100.6 with an additional 22 attempts. The Bears game statistically would lower his rating, but those are some good numbers so far...