1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Delhomme

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Sep 10, 2003.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I'd rather have Jake than Brad.

And I saw that boneheaded pass. So did Sorenson or fowler or someone, they wrote about it.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

Considering that Jake has underthrown the vast majority of his deep balls while Johnson has been reasonably accurate with his deep attempts in Minnesota, I don't think your objection is particularly valid. The age issue is of course a different matter, but that goes back to philosophical differences regarding a team's ability to shuttle in a new starter every couple of years.

meatpile:
    Remember that it's not just a straight-up comparison of Jake Delhomme and Brad Johnson. It's whether or not Jake Delhomme is worth an extra $8 million in cap room than Brad Johnson.

3. buck nasty

buck nasty Full Access Member

if jake figures out how to lead carter...

4. Piper

Piper phishin member

Well, the cap space thing would be for next year, I suppose.

JMO, but any team expecting a soon to be 38 year old QB with an injury history to be their starter would be treading on thin ice. At this stage, he's a good backup to have.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Jake doesn't make $10 mil a year and never will to my knowledge, so sure, I'd rather have Brad Johnson for a year at $2 mil. Then we'd be back looking again in a year, and attempting to salvage some second rate rookie, and going through ten billion "LeFors is/isn't the answer" and "we need to draft Vince Young" threads, though that's not why you make personnel decisions.

What you do make them on, is that the team wasn't looking to replace Jake, regardless of his new-found Pro Bowl cred.

But no, BJ isn't > JD.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

Johnson doesn't have much of an injury history. He missed some time at the end of 2002, but that was mostly because the team had already wrapped up the #2 seed.

7. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I still take Jake b/c of age. As crazy as it is, Jake's one of the better qb's in the league - especially at his age - which is testament more to the state of the qb in the league than jake's ability.

It is what it is. QB's I'd take over Delhomme:

Palmer
    Manning (peyton)
    Brady

That's a small list.

Players I'd be happy if we swapped even - up, age affects this:

Brees
    Bulger
    Hasselbeck
    Eli
    Leftwich
    PLummer
    Simms might make this list. He's been getting better and better.

I'm not into mcnabb, mainly I don;t like all the publicity and he's no Peyton Manning.

I've always liked Johnson. He's just old. I like Favre, too.

8. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

I agree with that post

9. Piper

Piper phishin member

He had some problems staying healthy in Minnesota. Of course this is going back 96/97. 98 broke his leg, more of a freak thing.

Benched in Washington more than injuires was the cause, though he had some nagging injuries that likely affected his performance, though Snyder's meddling probably did worse. In 04 his arm was dead. Jaws broke down throws he wasn't making then that he was SB year. I personally wrote it down to age/hits/wear/injury. He was able to take some time off and recover, but I don't think teams should look to him as starter, unless they have a young guy they want to sit for a while.

He can still play in a west coast system, but the age thing would bother me to depend on him.

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

Wow, you can't possibly be serious. All the QBs you listed (except for Leftwich and maybe Simms & Eli) are definitely better than Delhomme, and Jake is very far from one of the better QBs in the league. At best he's solid, and we've all seen what he can be at his worst. Quite frankly, I thought I wouldn't have to keep having this argument now that the majority of fans and the media have caught on to just how bad Jake can be.

As for the contract, Jake will account for at least $7 million against the cap next season, $8.6 million in '07, $8.5 million in '08, and $8 million in '09. I say "at least" because I'm missing some money somewhere, given that the published salaries and bonuses don't add up to the $38 million of total value in his extension. I'm also assuming I got the timing of the bonuses correct, otherwise '06 and onward might be more money per season than I think. But yeah, looking at it he does appear to fall short of $10 million, although he'll still be one of the highest paid QBs in the league (while Johnson signed a 4 year deal for only $6 million total this past off-season).