1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Delhomme

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Sep 10, 2003.

1. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

On the bright side Sir Purr looked good tonight.

2. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

Yeah cause that really made Ken Lucas better...

3. The_professor

The_professor ★☆☆☆

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

So I guess we can go ahead and lock this thread up, it's over.

5. The_professor

The_professor ★☆☆☆

[​IMG]

6. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

7. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

8. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

I don't want Jake cut, but I do want to see a sense of urgency in him.

If we're being real about this, Jake has never been an elite quarterback. He's a good quarterback who has had streaks of brilliance, separated by the occasional WTF moment. But he was so clutch in the 4th quarter that I grew to trust that even with the screw ups, he'd find a way to win. He's proven it time and time again -- even this season.

But this game was different. You could see it in his eyes. He was beaten before halftime. No passion, no fire, no determination.

No hope.

And Fox kept sending him out there.

Jake was the heart of the Cardiac Cats, and last night he flatlined before the game was even half over. Without his fire, Jake is a broken down Brett Favre throwing more picks than TDs, living on past glory. It doesn't matter that he's only 34. If that's they way he plays, then that's what he is. And last night it looked like he was trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

Here's what I want to see -- I want to see Fox and Hurney make Delhomme earn that job. I think he's gotten complacent over the past 5 years, and by doing so, lost what got him there in the first place. I want to see some serious competition brought into training camp. Not castoffs like Matt Moore, not undrafted rookies like Brett Basanez, not C+ backups like McCown. I want to see someone brought in who will light a competitive fire under Jake's ass and get his heart beating strong and hard again -- the heart of the Cardiac Cats.

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

Jake is not even a "good quarterback," he is a decent quarterback. Nor would I say that he has had "streaks of brilliance." Delhomme had a very good game on the road at Chicago in 2005, and in the second half of the '03 Super Bowl, but those were his only two playoff games (out of eight total) with more than one touchdown pass. (he has the same number of playoff turnovers as playoff touchdowns) Plus those "WTF moments" have been a lot more than occasional. The number of games he's arguably won for the Panthers and the number of games he's arguably lost for them are just about equal, as I've shown in previous threads where I listed the two side by side.

10. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

I think you are correct. His WTF moments have now oversaturated my faith in him in even being a decent QB. He does have his good moments, but they are far outshadowed by his bad.

We need a good QB, a consistent pass rush, a safety that can cover, LBs that don't overpersue (although, I'm overall pleased with the ones we have- just need some coaching), DTs who are actually good and strong- not just big, an OC and DC that have not only good gameplans, but plan Bs as well. And I wished davidson knew how to be creative and drew up wrinkle plays each week for the opposing Ds- not just run the same ol same ol. Our pass plays- specifically routes, just plain suck, imo. We need to be able to have a short game, when the run isn't clicking and the opposing D has shut down the long pass with good pressure/coverage. And I don't mean smoke routes over and over. That one got an int this week even.

But, I expect with Fox and co., that next year will be the same old thing, and the only thing that will keep us from 7-9 (or worse), will be double trouble and good O line play, with a half assed defense.