1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Delhomme

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

You don't really have to worry about that until you've found someone worth paying big money. In the meantime, it's simply not difficult to find a guy who can do what Jake Delhomme does. People say that QBs are a crapshoot because the sports media says that, and the sports media says it because they're so often wrong. Personally I think QB is one of the easiest positions at which to predict future success, the problem is that many media members (and teams for that matter) get fixated on all the wrong things.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

That's not an endorsement of Jake so much as an indictment of Fox. The man is complacent and stubborn. He's extremely slow at making even obvious changes, such as Foster over Davis or Williams over Foster. Plus Hurney would look awfully stupid if someone beat out the QB he paid an assload of money for. That said, I'm not even saying that a change at quarterback needed to be made. We can obviously win with Jake. I think the Panthers could do better behind center, and for a lot less money, but he's ok most of the time.
    I said that I liked him a lot better than Vince Young, who went seven spots higher, but I never claimed that he was a superstar talent. I do think he'll be a quality starter in the NFL, though. The last QB I was really apeshit about was Ben Roethlisberger, and he's only had the best start to his career of any quarterback in NFL history.

Edit:
    Looking back, I did say that I thought Leinart would be great. We'll see if that pans out.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  3. Piper

Piper phishin member

Ego may be part of the equation, but even QBs who are signed to long term contracts can and are be cut, released, traded, whathaveyou. After the 06 season, Jake could have been cut and the national sports media would have forgotten it after one days cycle. It wouldn't have even lead as a story. After his injury last year, it was a bit of a story that they didn't. No one would have critisized Hurney or Fox at that time nationally.

Jake's contract is now very average. It's smaller than Brees, or Ryan in our division, smaller than Romo, McNabb, Eli, Rodgers, or Hasselbeck's. Only bigger than Bulger's for NFC QBs signed to multi year deals.

As for ML, I thought he'd be better than he's been myself, he was very productive in college, has the size, mechanics, and IMO enough arm. It's just a different game at this level, though, and you have to have work ethic (I say as I should be working after getting a raise).

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

You can say that about any contract signed four years ago, as the salary cap has gone up substantially since then.
    I don't think he's been all that bad. This preseason the talking heads were glowing about what great performances he was having until he laid that egg in the third one against Oakland. The accuracy hasn't been what I expected, but I imagine a lot of that has to do with rust and timing. In college he showed the ability to read defenses quickly and adeptly, and his arm strength is certainly adequate. I think the work ethic angle has been overblown, as most young QBs like to party with boobies. When he gets a real chance, I think he'll succeed in Arizona.

5. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Delhomme = winner.

It's like Rudy every Sunday. To say he just chucks it and gets lucky was logical back in 2003. But he keeps fucking doing it - he did it without Smitty in 2004, he did it without Smitty on the insane drive in San Diego, he's chucked them to Moose and Proehl.

There's something about the guy that elevates the level of play of the guys around him, and it turns average ( or below average ) talent into inarguable results. This is particularly true on a game winning drive. The ************ is GOLD in those situations. I feel better about him in the final 2 minutes, when we're behind. than in the first 58 when we have a lead.

There's alot of more talented QB's in the NFL, but there are few I'd rather have in that situation. And success in that situation is good for a few wins a year.

Delhomme has been healthy for every game in 4 seasons - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008. We went to the playoffs in 3 of them.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

Please stop repeating bullshit. I've listed the many times when Delhomme has directly lost this team games, and it was almost as many times as he rescued the team with a great performance. There is nothing mystical about Jake. He didn't complete that 39 yard pass to Steve against New Orleans because he has magic mojo. He completed it because Steve Smith is that fucking good.
    Go look at the threads from 2004. People were posting about how Jake would just throw it up for grabs and Muhammad would go get it like a power forward boxing out cornerbacks.
    Bull-fucking-shit. The only receivers who have had any success with Jake Delhomme as the quarterback are Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad. Tom Brady turned Reche Caldwell, David Givens, and Troy Brown into productive receivers. Delhomme hasn't done that with anyone.
    No, you just remember the times where he succeeded and conveniently forget the times where he didn't. We didn't get the job done against the Giants or Vikings, and in 2006 Delhomme cost us games with interceptions late in the fourth quarter against Philadelphia, Washington, and Cincinnati. It's natural to remember the successes more than the failures, but they're both there.

7. Scott Fowler

Scott Fowler Banned From TBR

Collin STFU jake Delhomme is the best QB since Joe Montainya.

8. Scott Fowler

But "Meshaun" ran the wrong route in Cincinnati ;)

9. tharan000

tharan000 Full Access Member

I think you were also kissing Troy Smith's dick.

10. Scott Fowler

Collin should kill himself.