1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Dan Henning

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by kickazzz2000, Sep 21, 2009.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I don't think it's true either. I don't think it's a part of my argument at all.

Davidson gets a hit against him for Jarrett. Even though Jarrett looks like he could become a productive player for us by next year. The part you seem to want to negate is that Davidson has Jarrett, and for every Jarrett there's a group of kids who didn't become anything for Henning. He got plenty of production out of, let's say every other vet, but

Most OCs won't publicly feud with the player in the media, so in that regard Henning was special. Since your argument is that Shelton should be an exception, tell me about the draftees he made. Gross? OK. Wharton? Sure, but had him at tackle when we now know clearly he's a better guard. Williams? Not really. Foster? When was he ever consistent? He was honestly more consistent under Davidson, and led the league in first down runs before wearing down when he was finally healthy. Otherwise, he was spending big to get guys to replace players we should've been able to develop.

Gantt's words about Henning lacking energy was a new take on things. That was a good read. This didn't have anything to do with responding to your post, but I felt like throwing in some commentary since this argument has lacked substance.

You could say that the approach just became too different from what we wanted. 03 was what we wanted. After that the runs became less effective, less meaningful. 06 wasn't what we wanted - a run first team suddenly trying to pass so much more, with a cranky out of touch OC living in a hotel and badmouthing players.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I just think it is a reach to blame the OC because the players we brought in did not pan out. Fox and Hurney have the final say on players we draft and sign.

I think you judges an OC on his play calling and game planning.

3. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

It's on both groups, but it's just as stupid to absolve Henning of it as it is to put it all on Fox/Hurney.

4. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

He's better than Davidson.

Most OC's probably are, with the possible exception of Ron Turner.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

yeah, coaches shouldn't be judged on their ability to coach.

6. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

If you're going to put that on anybody, put that on the position coaches. They're doing the most hands-on stuff.

7. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

Times like this I wish that clip of Maser dressing down Mathis was still on youtube.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

We did fire one of the position coaches as well, but position coaches aren't going to have the input into the needs, scheme, and have the head coach or GM's ear. Since most of the position coaches have remained the same, and production of youth has dramatically increased, well, I shouldn't have to spell that out.

9. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

You don't think it's possible that we've just hit better on some of these picks? If Davidson is so great with the youngsters, why is highly-anticipated Fiametta sucking so much dick?

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I don't think it's possible that I suddenly change my mind and think Henning is what you think he is, no. I don't know that I'd say we just suddenly went from making one of four O players useful to suddenly making more than half useful.

Fiammetta? Same with Goodson. Doesn't mean that we fire or blame Skipper.

Some guys take time to develop. 10 games might not do it. We don't have the luxury of stating what Davidson's guys did through their rookie contracts in some situations. I know there are more guys I'd take in three years of this goober's time than five of the guy before.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009