1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Dallas paper says Johnson signed

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Mr. Scot, Mar 23, 2006.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Very good points. You're on a roll today. Yes, we have a right to disagree with people who get paid for a living to do this. Them getting paid doesn't make them infalliable or above question.

It really is a lot about connections. Most coaches get a start at the college level because they know coaches from their playing days. HS coaches rarely get a college break. College GAs get token positions, then move on, and grow. Some make it to the pros on rep or on connections.

Same for writers. Same for scouts. You know a guy, or you work for free for a year or two. Or you were a writer who interacted with a buddy on the team. It's a lot of work and sacrifice to simply get experience. I could've done it, I know that. I chose not to really try. I enjoy this, and I've never sought to make a hobby a career, or else I'd have chosen music anyway.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Bolt Up

Is it that obvious?:(

3. Proprietor

Proprietor Family feeder

No, no. I am all for debate. It's cool. But we all have opinions. Mine happens to be that too much blind criticism is thrown these guys way. Mags, Collin....those two eggheads in particular seem to have a narrow enough understanding of the business of the game to vent valid criticism. It's the fan that just bitches and moans, w/little regard to the nuance of the decisions being made that wear on me.

4. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

Who knows.... another article says:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9333359

Don't know what this means but like the rest of us, I hope they can play nice together.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

Even though I yell at people a lot (mainly because I'm an asshole), I think people who don't care enough to evaluate the actions of a team really aren't fans. Now that's not to say that you need to sit down and judge every move, but if you are just hunky-dory with anything they do then I think you're probably more of a cheerleader than fan. I love that people are passionate about football and share their ideas, even if it means getting yelled at by a dickhead. So I don't see a problem with fans second-guessing a franchise at all, I actually think it's great. And like Thelt said, even the most average of guys can be correct in criticism of a high profile person simply because all humans make a lot of mistakes.

6. Clay

Clay Full Access Member

So go get an NFL job.

Until then, stop acting you're the end all and be all of football knowledge. Saying you're smarter than everyone else doesn't actually mean you're smarter than everyone else.

7. WYDD

WYDD Everybody dance now.

o/u 2 more pages

8. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

What was this thread about again? Keyshawn hasn't been mentioned in what? 2-3 pages?

9. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I am supportive of most if not all the moves the panthers have made this year so I am not really bitching. I just will not concede that they know more than me and I will therefore accept any action they take as being a good one.

I think it was a bad move to sign Foster for the money they did and I stand by that. Foster may prove worth it if he stays healthy but given what we know now about his history of injury giving him $5 million per year is a huge gamble. Sure Hurney knows a lot more than me and would be right a lot more than me. I hardly knew who Ken Lucas was last year before we signed him and he turned out to be a great pickup. But I do know who Foster is and I can comment on it intelligently.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    That's one place where watching college games and paying attention to the draft pays off for a lot of people. You know who guys like Ken Lucas are. The draft is a good starting point for having some base of knowledge about personnel.