1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Dallas paper says Johnson signed

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Mr. Scot, Mar 23, 2006.

1. WYDD

WYDD Everybody dance now.

the day they interviewed meshawn on sirius (i keep referencing this yet somehow i missed all his talk about the panthers) he said his son told him to go to the colts. he said he didn't want to go somewhere and be the 8th receiver. which could either mean two things. either he knows his place now, or wants to be the no. 1 guy. i'm hoping for the first one.

but, jimmy hitchcock?? he ain't got no acl's yo.

2. HAVEPSL

HAVEPSL Full Access Member

3. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Dean Wells?

I can't remember how much he cost.

4. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

Yeah, but it's still $8 million for the first two years of service whether you pay it out over two or over three. All that money comes due.

6. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

OK, so it really could be 8 million over three (and you'd presumably renogotiate), right?

Doesn't that make it a little more palitable?

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

No, it would be $8 million for two years of service. If I pay you $8 million for two posts, I'm still paying you $8 million for two posts even if it's doled out over twenty years. People often make the mistake you're making in thinking that the dead money season should be considered part of the contract. It isn't, because the player is no longer with the team at that point and you theoretically have to pay someone else to replace them. $8 million for two years is $8 million for two years, even if it's paid out over three.

8. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

I understand that if you get rid of him, but if you reup him at a better deal (because I don't know what his 3rd year salary is going to be), then it really changes the the whole thing to a 3 (or more) year deal, with 8 million having been paid the 1st 2 years.

Fuck it, I'm tired of rationalizing. I'm glad the guy's here but we paid too much. Are we going to be able to pay our rookies?

9. Proprietor

Proprietor Family feeder

There's a select group of individuals who handle these matters for a living. None of them post on TBR.

10. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

First, you are right. Second, I'd only point out that (dead) money counted 3 years from now has a smaller relative hit in the future due to increases in cap space. For instance, say in the third year of this contract he's dropped. Also say his prorated bonus dollars leaves us with 2M is dead money. Today that dead money is worth 1.96% of our cap. 3 years from now (with a projected 10% increase in cap space per year) that dead money is worth 1.63% of our cap. So, it is not entirely without merit to consider the split worth it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006