1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

cuts - WTF?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

:thud:

2. Purrsecutioner

Purrsecutioner Full Access Member

:bananalam

3. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

Comments from Marty and John

Comments from Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney and head coach John Fox following the roster cut down to 53 players.

General Manager Marty Hurney

On final cuts: Obviously, there were some very difficult decisions. They were good problems to have, but on a day like this it's extremely difficult because the decisions are very important to your football team, and we had a lot of tough ones and had to release some very good football players. That's always hard to do.

On waiving quarterbacks Stefan LeFors and Brett Basanez: I think that's more indicative of how difficult our decisions were. What you try to do is make decisions where you can keep as many guys as possible who will help you this year. Those guys certainly did everything we asked. It was just a case of numbers. This is the first time we've done this, but we just decided to go with two at this point.

On seven-of-eight 2006 draft choices making the team: That's what you want. We said coming in that the draft basically provides the nucleus of your team and you have to draft well. I believe we have 12 players from our last two drafts still on the team. That's a pretty good number and that's a goal of ours to keep that going every year. It helps you reload. You bring in young guys, and they learn and they grow, and that's a big key to our system is to draft well. We feel good about it. The old saying is you don't really know about a draft until two or three years down the road. But certainly it's a good start to have seven-of-eight make it the first year.

Head coach John Fox

On if he's comfortable having only two quarterbacks on the roster: I think there is a risk involved. Other people have done it in the past. We're not the first ones to break this ground. Obviously, the plan is to bring somebody in on the practice squad, so we have someone on a daily basis who is familiar with our system. Knock on wood in case anything was to happen to (Jake Delhomme and Chris Weinke), then we would have to make a roster move. Like Marty said, it was a decision that was made to keep some quality depth at other positions.

On if quarterback Stefan LeFors or quarterback Brett Basanez could be signed to the practice squad: That's always a possibility.

On if there is a player on the roster who played quarterback in college and could be an emergency quarterback: I think Mangy (Kris Mangum) could probably get up under center. I'm not sure what our two-minute drill would look like.

On releasing linebacker Keith Adams: It was a tough call. Na'il Diggs didn't play in the last game. That decision was based on (Diggs') play in the first few games. It was one of those hard decisions you have to make.

On several young linebackers making the team: We kept seven. This may be the first time we've been in a position to do that. James Anderson has shown a lot of promise for a young guy. I think we're probably deeper there than we've been in the past.

On running back Eric Shelton making the team: He's a powerful guy who can move the pile. Down the road if anything were to happen to the people in front of him, that's a positive trait.

On keeping four tight ends and the status of Kris Mangum: Our medical evaluations are done more day-to-day. He was able to perform in the Pittsburgh game at a high level. We only have one fullback on the squad, and our tight ends can be used there. They're interchangeable positions. That was more of a factor in keeping four tight ends.

On if waiving wide receiver Efrem Hill means that cornerback Chris Gamble and wide receiver Steve Smith will return punts: Yes, those would be two of the top candidates.

4. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

LOLZ!!!!!!!!!1111 *giggles*

Who are the other 'top' candidates? Gamble and Smith are the only two who can do it, from what I gather. And I thought we were done with Smitty returning punts.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  5. rldog99

rldog99 Full Access Member

williams can return punts

6. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

Practice squad?

September 2 QB Brett Basanez Waived
    September 2 WR Taye Biddle Waived
    September 2 CB Jarrett Bush Waived
    September 2 DE Jovan Haye Waived
    September 2 RB Alex Haynes Waived
    September 2 WR Efrem Hill Waived
    September 2 S Nate Salley Waived
    September 2 T Adam Stenavich Waived

7. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

So they need to clear waivers and then be signed to the PS? How long do waivers last? 48 hrs?

8. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

No. From panthers.com:

On Sunday after 12:00 p.m. EST, the Panthers may establish a practice squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 45-player active list for less than nine regular season games during their only accrued season(s). A player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than two seasons.

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

People = Foster
    Anything = injury during the season, cut during the off-season
    :banginghe

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    actually, yes, they would need to clear waivers first.