1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Charlotte vs Louisville...

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by VA49er, Mar 3, 2005.

1. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

ESPN 2 7 pm.

For all the marbles!!

2. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

:satana:

3. VA49er

49ers get shot at league's top seed

49ers get shot at league's top seed

Contest vs. Louisville will break tie at top of Conference USA

JENA JANOVY

Staff Writer

So it's come to this ... No. 18 Charlotte vs. No. 9 Louisville; Bobby Lutz vs. Rick Pitino; Eddie Basden vs. Francisco Garcia.

At stake at 7 tonight (ESPN2), on Senior Night at Freedom Hall, is sole ownership of first place in Conference USA, at least a share of the regular-season title and the top seed in next week's C-USA tournament in Memphis, Tenn.

There's also the game within the game. Observers will pay particularly close attention to Garcia and Basden to settle the debate over who should be league player of the year.

There's not much more that could be piled on this nationally televised game to make it any more important, other than it's between the top teams in C-USA in their final seasons in the league. Charlotte will join the Atlantic 10 next season, and Louisville the Big East.

"In terms of the regular season, this one obviously ranks right at the top" in importance, Lutz said. "However, every game is so important. If we don't beat Cincinnati here, if we don't beat DePaul, if we don't beat Memphis, then this game wouldn't mean so much.

"We've won some big ones, and because of that this one becomes the biggest of the year, and probably the biggest of any regular-season game we've played."

The series is 15-15, with Louisville having won three of the past four and leading 9-5 at home. Last season, Charlotte forward Curtis Withers scored 23 points and the 49ers came back to win 77-71 at Halton Arena after trailing by a dozen with 10 minutes left.

Each team has a scoring trio at its core with enough roster flexibility that allows for a range of matchups based on how well guys are playing. Each has players who can score inside and outside, off the drive and off the catch.

Charlotte's core of junior Withers, senior guard Brendan Plavich and senior Basden led the 49ers to a 7-0 record in February. Senior forward Ellis Myles, senior guard Larry O'Bannon and junior Garcia have helped the Cardinals win 13 of their past 14.

Despite the attention on the Garcia vs. Basden matchup, Pitino said each team has so much veteran leadership that it's hard to pinpoint one matchup as more important.

"Both teams are so well-balanced," Pitino said. "It's two veteran ball clubs with a lot of depth from their scoring, and it's more team than it is individual matchups."

Gameday

No. 18 Charlotte (21-4, 12-2) at No. 9 Louisville (24-4, 12-2)

TV: ESPN2, 7 p.m.

4. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

go Niners

5. VA49er

Thanks man! This game is freaking huge for us. Not in terms of an NCAA bid since we're in but in terms of CUSA seeding, a potential POY award (Basden), straight up CUSA regular season championship, etc.. Pitino has even said it's the Card's biggest game since he's been their coach. GO NINERS!!

6. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

I like the Niners

always have

Ya'll got a really nice team this year and should make some noise in the tourney.

I hate Pitino - and I was never a Louisville or Denny Crum fan so it is always good watch Louisville lose.

7. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

yup... can't help but cheer them on a little right now. I hope they pull it out tonight.

8. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Yup its the few fans that talk trash that make you aggrivated with the team and talk smack. I'm sure I've pissed off a few of the good Niner fans unfortuantely because of that.

9. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

I'm sure I can safely say that no Niner fan wants your support nor gives a shit if you cheer us on at all. I also can say that most Niner fans would probably be disgusted knowing you went to our school.

10. jnwta

jnwta Faded away.

I remember back in the old days back when it was UNCC, there was this guy I knew in high school as a big UNCC fan...heck I didn't even know the school existed then...that was during the Cornbread Maxwell days....