1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Canon Rebel Xti

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by plutosgirl, Dec 31, 2007.

1. plutosgirl

plutosgirl It's a Liopleurodon!!!

Ok so I'm still reading up...

I've been reading up on wj's suggestions concerning xti vs. 20D (which isn't available now) it's 30D.

The reviews say the xti doesn't have some sort of spot meter focusing that the 30D has. Can you school me on this? Also, they speak of shooting RAW a lot. Does this simply mean the raw data on the camera before processing?
    Third question: Do you guys typically use a software program to work with your pics to enhance everything, or is your shooting enough? Ie... is my photo manipulation software going to be as important as my camera/lense?

Thanks ;)

2. Big Mark

Big Mark Full Access Member

The spot metering doesnt have anything to do with focusing. Essentially it allows you to meter the lighting at a single spot in the frame (as opposed from sampling all over the frame for correct exposure). The auto focus system is actually more advanced on the XTi than the 30D. The XTi has 9 Autofocus points whereas the 30D only has 5.

Both models will shoot in RAW. Essentially RAW is the digital negative. The camera doesnt automatically make any changes for you. It essentially just gives you a lot more control over the image once you transfer it to your computer. both models will let you override the RAW function and just shoot in .jpeg (like all point and shoot cameras).

I use Photoshop Elements for post processing. It's about a $70 program that has some of the more common features from the "real" photoshop, but waters it down for beginners. I've been really happy with it.

3. plutosgirl

Thanks so much. I have photoshop elements and photoshop cs3, not that I know how to use them. :biggrina: When my decision is made and I get my camree I'm gonna buy you and jg a beer sometime. And take pictures of it.....

4. Big Mark

Big Mark Full Access Member

I'll take you up on that.

as some point, buy this book. It's a VERY easy to use guide on PSE and it really showed me a lot in just a little time. I'll let you borrow my copy to check it out, but it's probably something you'd want to own so you can refer back.

5. plutosgirl

Ok I think I've made a decision.

First of all, I know nothing about slr photography and I'm going to be learning for a while. As with all hobbies of mine, I might decide it's too hard or get too busy to do it and I'll enjoy it more if I don't feel obligated to use it so much because I spent a lot.
    The xti will do what I want and it's readily available right this minute. While it might not have the easier menu etc... I still think it's going to give me what I need. As I said, I originally was going to get the xt so if I keep waiting, reading, hoping, wanting, saving, I'm going to miss the reason why I want it in the first place.
    With the lenses that I've been offered, I think I can't go wrong at this time with the xti. The 30D is 300 dollars more and I can buy a good lense with that, and possibly more decent used ones for that.

I may be sorry and if I am, I'll tell wj, he was right. ;) However- he did point out his wife is a photographer and I'm just not.... yet anyway.

EDIT: Actually the decision was made for me while I was replying to my thread. I have it in my hands now.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  6. Fro

Fro FFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffff

[​IMG]

7. plutosgirl

I just took my first picture a while ago.

I can't figure out why those clouds are a tish fuzzy in the top.

Attached Files:

8. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

:drool5:

I would LOVE to have me one of those!