1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

camp thoughts

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Black&Blue, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Hard Harry

Hard Harry Sometimes Functional INTP

Get yoself a handful son!

[​IMG]

2. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

Thanks for the thoughts, guys!

I'm disappointed to hear about Montgomery. I was really starting to think he'd be decent interior depth. I'm also disappointed to hear Johnson isn't making more of a splash.

Good to hear about McClover. I like what's being said about King, too. Pitch -- I've always liked Haynes, and I'm happy he's making a splash. I still have hope for Shelton, but if he goes to make room for Haynes on the final roster, I won't be heartbroken.

I wish there was better news about our LB and S corps.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    best thing posted here in months

4. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

From Yasinskas blog, wonder if he has any original thoughts or if he just read what I wrote and ran with it?

Observations from Tuesday's practice
    Wide receiver Steve Smith didn't practice. He's not injured. He was just getting a day of rest.

The wide receiver position is going to be a lot more competitive than a lot of people think when it comes time to trim the roster. Smith and Dwayne Jarrett are locks and Drew Carter is safe. Rookie Ryne Robinson is going to make the team as a return man. Although it remains to be seen if Robinson will have any impact as a receiver, he’ll take up a roster spot. That’s four receivers and the Panthers will carry either five or six. Keary Colbert is also firmly in the mix for playing time, but Taye Biddle and Chris Horn have to be factored in. Biddle is making some plays as a receiver and is showing signs he can fill some of the special teams roles previously held by Karl Hankton and Horn also has the tools to be a special teams regular.

By the way, Carter made a catch in traffic in the end zone Tuesday. That’s at least the second time that’s happened this camp and it could be a sign of huge progress because Carter never has been much of a factor in that situation before.

There’s been a little more noise than last year in practices. That’s because the offense no longer is snapping the ball on "one’’ every play. You can hear Jake Delhomme and David Carr mixing up the counts a lot and that’s caused some movement on the defensive front.

It’s easy to see the tight ends are going to have bigger roles in the passing game. Jeff King continues to catch every thing thrown his way. Even Michael Gaines, a non-factor most of last year, has been making some plays.

Speaking of tight ends, rookie Dante Rosario is doing double duty, getting work at tight end and fullback.

Here’s a scene that Panthers fans should hope to see a lot more of this season: Running back DeAngelo Williams ran a go-route in Tuesday’s practice, burned the defensive back and caught a bomb from Delhomme.

It will be interesting to see if running back Nick Goings stays on the roster now that offensive coordinator Dan Henning is gone. Goings was a Henning favorite, but he could be in jeopardy if Eric Shelton (not a Henning favorite) shows any signs he’s capable of being the third running back.

Defensive end Julius Peppers continues to do things defensive ends aren't supposed to be able to do. He intercepted a Jake Delhomme pass.

Very quietly, defensive end Dave Ball continues to have a nice camp. Ball had a play where he broke through the line and would have sacked David Carr, if contact on quarterbacks wasn't banned.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

He's still babbling about that? Good lord. Once these guys actually get an idea in their head, it takes a crowbar to get it out.

6. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I don't think it was him that wrote about that last time was it? I thought it was Gantt that said the snap count thing last time.

7. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

One of the best photochops I`ve seen.

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

Damn, I hoped it was real.

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Full Access Member

Steve Reed was the one who had a story on it a couple of days ago (link), and that is because Wahle brought it up recently. Interestingly, I did a web search and found that Wahle complained about the snap count 2 years ago after the loss to Miami.

10. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Thanks, but my biggest point was that it wasn't YaSKANKsas.