1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Camp Notes for Aug 10th, 7 pm (long)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Purrsecutioner, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

Awesome, Purr.

Reactions:
    Keyshawn will be fine. I get the feeling that he doesn't take training camp seriously, but in any case, he is used to being slow and does a great job of shielding defenders with his body when he actually wants to.

Hangartner will make the squad only because we lack interior depth, but did you notice Montgomery? That kid can play, so I'm not overly worried about it.

I don't recall much about Brown, but I'd be fine with him making it over Moorehead. I also hope we can find a place for Seward, although it begs the question whether or not we really need yet another injury-prone LB.

TD indeed looks the part. I don't think the SLB engaging blockers will be as much of an issue as it could be on other teams simply because he'll have Pepp and Kemoeatu in front of him on that side, or I hope so anyway. He'll certainly do a lot of blitzing and covering the TE, which he should be able to do well. When I watch him, the phrase that comes to mind is "heat seeking missile."

Interesting that Marshall was being used to blitz. We did that a lot with Manning, and I don't know if Howard would be as adept, so it sounds like we're trying to see if he can fit in that role.

I think the cursing can be too much, but it's their training camp. If the old guy doesn't like it, then he shouldn't go. I just wonder how much good it does when every third word starts with an F.

Jenkins is fat and out of shape. We're obviously going to take our sweet time about working him back in. I'm not too concerned about how long he can go in Week 1 as long as he's in shape by Week 18.

magnus:
    The safeties are interchangeable only in the sense that the coaching staff thinks it gets players who can play both positions. You and I both know that FS and SS have different responsibilities in our system, and it may be a reason why Minter's stats (according to Joyner) improved so much last season over '04.

I'd like to keep Haye as well, I just don't think there is enough room. As for McClover, I think you could argue that he's better than Wallace already. Seriously, you need to see this guy because he can rush the passer, which is also the only thing Wallace can do (if we had a cutthroat coach like Belichick, McClover and Haye would make the team while Wallace would get cut).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  2. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

Excellent report, man. Thanks.

I've also liked Haye, and I would love to keep him instead of Moorehead as the 9th DL. Not only for defensive depth, but also for special teams purposes. He can run down and make plays on kick and punt coverage, something that Kindal hasn't shown any ability to do. It will certainly be an interesting preseason, because a lot of things will have be settled.

I'm worried about Hangartner. He's been the bitch of several linemen during drills, including the ones who won't make the team. Fortunately for him, we're so thin inside that he's basically a lock to make it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  3. Purrsecutioner

Purrsecutioner Full Access Member

"Williams and Branch. Too bad our safeties aren't interchangeable"

Rotf.....

"that was my concern
    he does need to work on leg strength, but if he's big enough and can play the run a little, I'm allright with letting Haye go. He could probably catch on with a 3-4 team easily."

At this point, yeah. Haye looked alright, certainly more consistent than McClover at this point, but McC had the flashes. I hadnt realized he was above Haye on the depth chart. Well there ya go then. Good enough.

"This is what we missed last year. Inside was soft, but we could still run if we had to. And we didn't convert most of those"

Im still a little worried that we wont this year. Haynes got some tough yards, but the guy who still seems to be the strongest runner inside is Goings. BUt I see what youre saying, and yes, we did miss a lot of that. Goings, to a point, was that, but he had no break away speed. Foster was that rarely. Too spastic back there, and was indecisive.

this isn't his idea situation, no. In practices like this a DB will have the speed to hang on him and there won't be so much contact as to give Key the edge.
    hopefully, being slow isn't a brand new thing for Key, and he'll still be effective. If not, we've bought an expensive, slow player who'll get frustrated and eventually melt down.

Christ, I hope not. Ive read some fluff pieces on Johnson, so I hope he's done a lot of good things in camp. I know Jake should throw high on him. That dude can extend like a beast. And Im pretty sure Key's known about his slowness for awhile. I know last year, he had to pull Drew Bledsoe aside, and tell him that he's going to have to throw differently to Key, and even if hes covered, to do so anyways. There was a story about that. Key was also last night, hugging over Delhomme's shoulder a time or two. I think he loves D, because he'll throw the fucking ball covered or not, much to our chagrin. I mean--17's INTs last night came from throwing Key the ball. Thats what worries me.

well for one thing, Pep's done it before. Two, sounds like he actually got right what the coaches told him to do.

True, true. It was just kinda funny.

This has been said all through camp.

Really? Well fuck. Sometimes, with our depth situation, I wonder why we didnt give Meadows more of a shot? What could it hurt? Quasi Mitchell looked really solid....perhaps he could move to G. Wasn't he that T for the Bears, the undrafted guy they loved for a time before injuries became a concern?

:satana: :satana: :satana: :satana:
    I don't know why I'm so behind this kid, I just am.
    I assume he worked inside?

Probably for the same reason as I do. He produces when you see him. Hes fast, hes sideline to sideline, and he tackles well. Hes fundamentally fucking solid. And if he did work inside, I missed it. Sorry. I was alternating on him and Anderson quite a bit, but also, when Seward wasa with the 3rd team, he was outside.

also glad to hear anderson's showing some instinct. That's what he has to show in camp this year; the rest of the season, hopefully, isn't about him. He's so raw, and we have vets. Next year, he better be on his shit.

Agreed. What he showed last night to me, was his coverage ability. WHat jumped out to me with Seward was his discipline. He played great contain, and played his gaps and zones in both run and pass. He didnt bite on PA. He made tackles, hit hard, broke up passes, and played low. He was involved in plays, diagnosed them and reacted. With Anderson, I didnt see him in as much of the scrum, as much as I saw him covering with great ability. He was there, stride for stride, and cuttting with the receiver, and also, playing his zones well, keeping the action in front of him. He kept his eyes in the backfield, which was nice. Didnt panic when an offensive guy ran through his zone, had faith in the scheme.

McClover's listed ahead of Haye. I think Haye has more technique and strength, and I'd like that in our 4th guy. I don't see McClover being better than Wallace in the next two years

No, me neither. Wallace had a good night last night. Drills were good, and in scrimmage, he was really disruptive.

This is flat out awesome. And yeah, it'll be great having a guy who can cover on that side of the D. Not since Fields. They're not the same player, but I'd love him in man vs the TE. He just plays better on that side, IMO, it's his end of the field.

He damn sure acted like it. He looked really good last night.

.Al Toeaina. Ah. Thanks. I wasnt sure if it was him or not.

I don't think you can learn not to be stiff. He's well built, but besides a

Im not a fan of the pick...but Ill hold off judgement. Hes got the size, thats for sure. A skinnier S. Williams.

4. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

Qasim Mitchell is already listed as a quard on the depth chart

5. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

Dukey, is that you?

:biggrina:

I think Salley can be a solid strong safety down the line. He does a good job of sheding blockers and getting to the ball, and he hits like Lucas. He's bigger than Ed Reed. He doesn't have that game-changing ability that Reed has, but not many of 'em do.

6. Purrsecutioner

Awesome, Purr. Thanks.

Reactions:
    Keyshawn will be fine. I get the feeling that he doesn't take training camp seriously, but in any case, he is used to being slow and does a great job of shielding defenders with his body when he actually wants to.

I get a sense of this in a way. Ive read too many good things about his time in camp here. Plus, Delhomme has got to throw higher, away from the defenders. Let Key go get it.

Hangartner will make the squad only because we lack interior depth, but did you notice Montgomery? That kid can play, so I'm not overly worried about it.

I thought about this when I was driving home. No, I didnt check out Montgomery, and I was mad at myself for not concentrating on the OL much...

I don't recall much about Brown, but I'd be fine with him making it over Moorehead. I also hope we can find a place for Seward, although it begs the question whether or not we really need yet another injury-prone LB.

I hope we do.

TD indeed looks the part. I don't think the SLB engaging blockers will be as much of an issue as it could be on other teams simply because he'll have Pepp and Kemoeatu in front of him on that side, or I hope so anyway. He'll certainly do a lot of blitzing and covering the TE, which he should be able to do well. When I watch him, the phrase that comes to mind is "heat seeking missile."

FUcking right. He really looked good out there. However, I didnt get a good look at him fighting inside the garbage, and thats what I think I want to see if hes playing strongside. Hopefully youre right, with the line, he wont have to break blocks as much.

Interesting that Marshall was being used to blitz. We did that a lot with Manning, and I don't know if Howard would be as adept, so it sounds like we're trying to see if he can fit in that role.

He got some hurries, and tripped up Weinke. BUt he also got sucked up in scrum too. Hes light.

I think the cursing can be too much, but it's their training camp. If the old guy doesn't like it, then he shouldn't go. I just wonder how much good it does when every third word starts with an F.

Lol. I know it got the attention of those guys. But the F words were coming from Maser the most, BIGTIME. Sun was behind, but was also equally praising his guys as much as he chewed them out. Maser was a monster.

Jenkins is fat and out of shape. We're obviously going to take our sweet time about working him back in. I'm not too concerned about how long he can go in Week 1 as long as he's in shape by Week 18.

Ditto. Take out time, rather than lose him again.

7. Purrsecutioner

rotf, about Dukey.

What stood out to me about Salley was his hips. Hes slow to get around. Stiff. And M has a point that he may not be able to get out of that very well, as that may be due to his body.

Hope he does great though, obviously.

8. Purrsecutioner

Guess I should fucking read the goddamn depth chart, huh? Heh, thanks. Good to know though. THought he did ok last night.

9. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

you mean a guard, right? That's not too suprising. He certainly wasn't going to be a tackle for us, and we'll find better use for him playing on the inside in short yardage situations. Given what we have now at the position, he has a chance of sticking. I didn't think so when we brought him in, because he's not the typical Panther o-lineman, but none of the younger guys have stood out during camp.

10. Purrsecutioner

Hm. At this point, then, it really makes me wonder how safe Moorehead is. Hes a guy I like...but he needs to be able to do a lot of things good, with all those DL guys out there getting after it. And hes got his place, but thats about it.